Hello from a middle aged long time Linux user who found his home

Hello,
I just came here to say that for me, EndeavourOS has kind of made computing and computers really fun again.

I’m a long time Linux-user. I started using Linux in the late 1990’s with Slackware 2.0 being my first ever distro. I’ve since used ubuntu, Fedora, Arch Linux, OpenSUSE TW, PopOS! and pretty much anything in between.

I’ve grown kind of tired of experimenting - I now mostly want thing to be beautiful, technically advanced but still “just work” (with some effort.) For me, EndeavourOS really ticks all the boxes.

I use my EndeavourOS as my daily driver for both work and play. I work as a government employed lawyer/case officer and for that Endeavour with pidgin and sipe, evolution with ews sync and KDE Plasma is just brilliant. I also play some steam-games, most recently it’s been Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands, which I play under Proton. It works just amazingly well, I even co-op with 8yo son who plays on an Xbox S.

The only thing I really need for work is the full Office365-suite. LibreOffice just won’t do it in that regard. I’ve historically had to resort to dual booting. But now I’ve found a way to be able to not have to do that anymore, thanks to Endeavour and a nice project called “Winapps for Linux.” https://github.com/Fmstrat/winapps
I guess I just wanted to say hi and thanks for all your hard work!

15 Likes

First of all welcome home.

Actually for me it ticks even more, it ticks boxes that /i didn’t even know of.
I am sure you will enjoy as nothing else and no where else. (my personal opinion after being on Linux since 2000, and after distrohopping for about a year).

Best distro and best community.

If I may ask, why? What does LibreOffice miss (other than MS Access)?

3 Likes

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/free-office-online-for-the-web

I’m probably just a little bit lazy, but the web-versions and to an even larger extent Libre Office messes up formats. We share a lot of documents that are “works in progress” at work and we make really heavy use of comments and the “Trace changes (direct translation from Swedish)” functions in the full Office suite from Microsoft. So it’s really just a matter of 100% combability with my colleagues.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!! :enos:

Microsoft online is buggy in my experience.

2 Likes

Thank you! Yeah, for work the online versions really doesn’t cut it. At least not for me.

1 Like

Welcome to EnOS’ community @freddano!

I hear that onlyoffice offers the best MS Office compatibility in Linux.
I am not using it myself, so I couldn’t verify that claim.

1 Like

I see. I have noticed this formatting issue.
I thought it was me.

I wonder and hope if an experienced Libreoffice user could sort it out and tell us how to overcome

1 Like

Hello and welcome @freddano :wave: Enjoy the purple ride :enos:

1 Like

Welcome @freddano :enos: :enos_flag: :partying_face::tada:

welcometoparty

:wave:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community :beers:

1 Like

I use onlyoffice. It’s the closest thing we have to authentic Microsoft office, although it’s not perfect. If you absolutely cannot have the smallest chance of issues, you will absolutely need to use office on windows. That’s just the reality of it.

2 Likes

Welcome :slight_smile: Hope you find what you looking for with us :enos_flag:

I use open office personally, i suggest you give it a try. They also have all the 365 suite. It’s what we use in schools in France.

1 Like

Yea, I suspect with so many people corroborating and commenting on the document, MS Office or Office365 will be the only way.

Anyway, welcome aboard from a fellow old-fart :slight_smile:

1 Like

onlyoffice? looks like ms 365 may help or not (

2 Likes

Welcome @freddano

1 Like

Welcome to the jungle @freddano

1 Like

Welcome! :slight_smile:

Depending on what you’re doing, you may indeed be stuck. For me, it was familiarity and somewhat file format compatibility issues that kept me away from LibreOffice. But I found OnlyOffice to be AWESOME! Familiar interface and shortcut keys are definitely there. Unfortunately, only being a sys admin/engineer/consultant, I haven’t done a lot of advanced work in the MS Office Suite, so I have no idea where OnlyOffice would fall short of replacing desktop MS Office Suite.

1 Like