Hello, EOS!

Hello everyone @EndeavourOS,

MK checking in, after few years on Debian first and then Arch-derived distro, I decided to settle with EOS to approach a more vanilla-arch (rollercoasting?) experience, and possibly learn something in between (considered I’m definitely not IT by education and find still hard to understand some subtle abstractions in the nature of Linux itself).

Approaching EOS, I would attempt to recreate my i3 setup - this time with a xfce-i3 approach - trying to deal with the “few” obstacles I’m meeting on the way of introducing some new elements (read btrfs, for example).

With this first post, I would like to thank the team members who were able to put together this wonderful project and making it progressively grow and consolidate as an approachable solution to quasi-vanilla Arch, and also the amazing community sourrounding and supporting it, as it is evident reading the forum how the environment created is definitely part of the success of EOS.

20 Likes

Welcome! There’s a few of us who have or are running xfcei3, so hopefully we can get you setup.

Although I’ve never used btrfs, so I can’t personally help with that specifically.

3 Likes

Welcome _mk! Nice profile pic btw :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Welcome aboard!

3 Likes

Welcome @_mk to ENOS!

4 Likes

Welcome aboard!

4 Likes

Welcome to the community :beers:

4 Likes

Welcome! Hope you enjoy your time here.

5 Likes

Hello and welcome!

4 Likes

Welcome aboard

4 Likes

Welcome! Enjoy this wonderful community and Os!

3 Likes

welcome @_mk and have a nice stay at EOS :smile:

2 Likes

Welcome and enjoy. Great distro and community.

2 Likes

Do, what are your “obstacles” in your xfcei3 setup?

My biggest issues I’ve come across are wallpapers ( nitrogen ) and lock screen/hibernate- which I think I used i3 lock now. But I had to turn off the screen saver setting in xfce I think. Those have been my biggest issues by far for getting things playing nicely.

@_mk Welcome to the forum enjoy . :sunglasses:

2 Likes

@_mk Welcome to the fun :tada: :balloon: :partying_face:

2 Likes

Welcome _mk :partying_face:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot to everyone for the friendly welcome in this amazing community!
Hope to learn a lot staying here and at some point be able to give little contributions too!

@Janinah it’s SpaceX F9 from here, that guy has some amazing pictures of launches, if you’re interested.

@fbodymechanic still dealing with misunderstandings between me and btrfs (approaching to a solution thanks to some community members!)…in my brief research before switching into Endeavour, I had found essentially two approaches to the i3-xfcenstein…the notorius Feeble Nerd walktrough, leveraging directly on XFCE Session, and a second one, dealing with editing the .xml configuration files (for example in aacebedo repo or as mentioned in archwiki). I’d prefer this second one - I really like to complicate my life -, but encountered some issues when trying it at system-wide level (/etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-session.xml).
Plus I’m still unclear whether keep the panel - I’d prefer to auto-hide it with shortcut, but I remember I had issues in attempting to implement it - or change it for i3-blocks or poly. On the contrary I don’t recall major problems with nitrogen/feh for wallpaper, while using light-locker for locking the screen required a bit of research to integrate screen-lock with power management and eventual external monitors.
Will surely keep you updated and welcome greatly your help in putting my old laptop back at work again!

Thanks again for your warm welcome everybody and have a great day/evening wherever in the world you are!

3 Likes