Hellenic Anthem

3 Likes

I’m not entirely sure that nationalism is a good move on an international Linux forum.

My understanding is that specific language sections exist for speaking about EnOs in ones own native tongue, and not for promoting and idolising specific countries or states.

5 Likes

Dont worry about it. I’m leaving.

1 Like

That was most certainly not my intention. I just tried to point out what I personally regarded an issue, not trying to drive you away in any manor or respect.

2 Likes

I would be very disappointed if you did. :hugs:

3 Likes

no problem.

1 Like

This entire section is called EndeavourOS United. I see no issue with someone taking pride in their national anthem in that countries section. Patriotism is a good thing in my book. :+1:

2 Likes

It might just be that common Swedish national trait kicking in. We generally take great pride in not being patriotic. :wink:

4 Likes

It was more along the lines of all the different countries of EndeavourOS existing in harmony not about each as an individual or one versus the other. Fair enough? :wink:

4 Likes

I don’t think there is anything wrong with feeling national pride and patriotism, and love towards the people of your nation. Of course, this comes with an obligatory disavowal of any hatred based on nationality (but this is not what this is). I think tribalism is a naturally evolved human emotion (which existed among apes even before humans evolved), which deserves the same respect as the emotion of love that a mother feels towards her children, which is different from the love she feels for her neighbour’s children. One’s nation can be viewed as one’s tribe, one’s extended family, and just because you love your family does not mean you hate your neighbour’s family.

With that out of the way, what I am puzzled by is this posting of a music video of a national anthem in the forum without any context or explanation. It’s just here. I don’t think there is anything wrong with it, it does not bother me, but I also see no purpose to it.

I guess I would have expected something like: “Hi, I’m Greek! Are there any other Greeks on this forum? It’s great to be a Greek, let’s have a Greek party!” I could see the point in that, just like we have a happy Rosh Hashanah topic. But just posting a national anthem without any context… Odd, to say the least.

But that’s just my opinion.

BTW, @Alexander, that’s a lovely song with a nice melody and inspirational lyrics (a salute to Liberty). I don’t think I’ve heard the Greek national anthem before (or at least I did not pay attention to it), so for that reason, I liked the OP. :heart:

I am still confused why you posted it here, maybe a better place would be “What are you listening to right now?”

3 Likes

We are just learning to regain a little bit of patriotism. :wink: In my opinion we should do that collectively as a united Europe. Patriotism is not per se a bad thing.
It’s about values and virtues. I believe that, in this highly globalized world, we will need those.

But these are only my two cents, a little bit off topic and maybe slightly too political for a Linux forum.

2 Likes