Heads up on Etcher

Frankly, the whole concept of Balena Etcher is utterly absurd to me.

It’s a program that writes image files to drives. That’s all it does. That is its main, and only, purpose: to write image files to drives. The size of that simple, single purpose program, however, is 223.5 MiB (at least the version in Manjaro repos).

223.5 MiB! :astonished:

dd does exactly the same thing, plus much more. The size of dd is 75 KiB, and that’s dd from the GNU Utils, i.e. one of the most bloated versions of dd in existence.

In other words, Balena Etcher is approximately 3000 times bigger than dd!

That’s bloat.

In fact, that’s more bloated than me after devouring a whole tin of Heinz baked beans for dinner.

Why is it so bloated? Because it’s an Electron App. It has the entire Chromium browser embedded in it. Millions of lines of code. For what purpose? To display a button that says “Burn” or whatever. But hey, it has rounded corners!
:man_facepalming:

Don’t get me wrong, Electron is an interesting technology, great for creating complicated GUIs and desktop versions of web apps. I’m not hating on Electron (much). But why on Earth would any team of software developers think that it is a good idea to write an image writing utility as an Electron App? The only possible explanation for such absurdity is that they are utterly incompetent as programmers and that JavaScript is the only programming language they know.

And yes, it connects to the internet (because a program that writes images to drives needs an internet connection, right? Wrong.), and yes, there were many rumours of it spying on its users and collecting sensitive data. So it’s not only bloat, it’s probably malware, too.

I don’t understand why any sane person would use such a ridiculous utility. Or why any distro would recommend it (or even worse, in case of Manjaro, keep it in its repos).

Just stop it. Use dd or Ventoy, or Popsicle…

16 Likes