Heading back to openSUSE Tumbleweed

It’s been fun stepping out of my comfort zone and trying something new. It was also great meeting a welcoming and knowledgeable community. But I’ve been reminded by all the little things I’ve had to look up and fix manually just how much more comfortable I was at home.

Good luck with the distro, you’ve done a remarkable job in such a short time so I can only see EndeavourOS getting even better. Take care and remember to take time for yourselves so that you don’t risk burn out.

11 Likes

Thank you for your kind words and for giving us a try, in the end we’re all Linux users and everyone should work and deepen their Linux knowledge with the distro that suits you.

Sometimes you need to make a journey to find out that the answer was already staring in your face.:wink:

3 Likes

But you are here always welcome. !

4 Likes

Glad you came. Sorry to see you go. Nothing wrong with openSUSE Tumbleweed. It’s also rolling release and very solid. Do come back and visit. :lizard: :point_left:

2 Likes

Possible you tell us those small things that you had back there that may help us improve this side ?
Also thanks for your kind words
Blessings

2 Likes

I got a Thinkpad L520 here with openSuSE Tumbleweed and sometimes I tweak and configure it a little just for nostalgic reasons and fun.
I think it’s a different world under the surface (DE/WM). You got rpm’s, OBS, Zypper and YaST… when you are used to that it’s just a lot of work to find those missing pieces to complete your setup with Pacman, Yay, AUR and config-files. And it’s the same vice versa. :slight_smile:
Thanks for stopping by and much fun with the chameleon.
2019-10-04%2011_40_41-opensuse%20logo%20at%20DuckDuckGo

3 Likes

It’s the workaround like @DevNul said if you’re not used to it. I’ve tried Tumbleweed two years ago and I also couldn’t get used to it, because I was too fixed in the Arch way. @MyNameIsRichardCS54 has it the other way around.

3 Likes

So it is a matter of usability and friendship with the distro !
Okay !
guys you should pass by the EndeavourOS house after some miles with your prefered and tell us if we have made it !
I trust you and bless y’all !

Exactly this. I know it would get easier with time and effort but I need to put those into other things.

2 Likes

I had Suse Tumbleweed installed on a laptop, overall great system.
From a sysadmin point of view, it is very pro and production oriented OS.
But there are a few drawback, and for me at some point made me come back to Arch.
Updates in Tumbleweed are a pain sometimes, and broken depenciens repos.
VLC and video codecs broke and switching to another repo in Yast gave more problems.
But I’m not saying it’s bad or something, it didn’t work for me.
But until it broke, nice experience. Maybe I’ll give Suse another chance on a spare partition.

2 Likes