Having trouble using the AUR

Hello all, i am new to endeavour os, coming from manjaro. I understand that you type “yay example” and get the results. I typed fan controller, and selected the one i want 3, went through the process and it didnt install. Im slightly confused, please lmk how to understand it lol. Thank you.

Hey, First welcome to the forum, the one that you installed wa it a gui application or a cli one

It was a gui version for fan control, i believe it was the same one i had before.

Have you checked if it was installed by a different name by chance

Can you try again and this time share the full output here so we can see what happened?

2 Likes

Here it isScreenshot_2021-08-18_10-24-45

better search " yay -Ss ( name you look for )

Can you share the output of sudo pacman -Syu? Please don’t use a screenshot. copy/paste the text.

When i type: Sudo pacman -Syu Fancontrol-Gui i get;
:: Synchronizing package databases…
core 597.6 KiB 5.45 MiB/s 00:00 [--------------------------------] 100%
extra 597.6 KiB 6.48 MiB/s 00:00 [--------------------------------] 100%
community 597.6 KiB 16.2 MiB/s 00:00 [--------------------------------] 100%
multilib 597.6 KiB 6.48 MiB/s 00:00 [--------------------------------] 100%
endeavouros is up to date
error: could not open file /var/lib/pacman/sync/core.db: Unrecognized archive format
error: could not open file /var/lib/pacman/sync/extra.db: Unrecognized archive format
error: could not open file /var/lib/pacman/sync/community.db: Unrecognized archive format
error: could not open file /var/lib/pacman/sync/multilib.db: Unrecognized archive format
error: target not found: fancontrol-gui

Open the welcome application and select the option to run reflector-simple to resort your mirrors. You are using a default mirrorlist and there is a bad mirror in it.

After that run:

sudo pacman -Syu

Don’t add anything, just run it just like that.

3 Likes

omg dude your a life saver, absolute legend, thx mate :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Pdawg5
happy you got all fixed

BTW welcome to purple side . hope enjoy your Endeavouros xp

1 Like

i was wondering if this pacman BUG is known somehow? or do they simply put this on users?
It seems to be proven that this error is caused by the fact that pacman is fetching 404 error page and save the code as db files…

It is bad mirror. I guess you could argue that pacman should have better validation around that.

The problem is that the mirror isn’t returning a 404. It is happily serving different content instead.

even more bad :wink:
some reports show that mirrors redirecting to some commercials e.t.c.

That’s terrific!
Perhaps we could do some online shopping through Pacman!
:sweat_smile:

no need… pacman is choosing already for you…
congratulations you just buy a new car!

b.t.w. i buy stuff with the terminal <— how cool is that! :wink:

4 Likes

You just run your normal update routine and the next day you get some “mystery box” delivered to you. I like it!

That’s cool!
You are the impersonation of “terminal-centric”!
:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I’ve lately seen this issue often. Happened with me also while testing an installation. Maybe Arch Linux needs to update its default mirrorlist, because whichever is the first mirror, is acting weird. Returning an Html page instead of 404.

1 Like

They definitely do if they haven’t already. However, the mirrorlist is in the backup array so even they update it the user will have to process the pacnew file.

1 Like