Having Issues Crashing to Login

Could you explain what you mean?

Sure, sorry if that was confusing.

I followed the instructions exactly as the article for the optimus-manager suggested and it didn’t work.

I would run systemctl after reboot to see if optimus-manager was running, and then I would try the start command (located in the same article right below the status check command) to get it running and it would say the service was not found or did not exist.

Usually with services you have to start them and enable them but that command should do that. I’m going to let @joekamprad weigh in on this topic as he is the Nvidia expert because it is dual monitor and also Hybrid Graphics. Don’t give up on it just yet.

for kde you need the qt version for optimus-manager:

yay -S optimus-manager-qt

then enable and start it with this command:

sudo systemctl enable --now optimus-manager

check if it is running:

systemctl status optimus-manager

1 Like

He said he had switched to Budgie so i wasn’t sure?

but not successful installed the optimus-manager… make sure it is installed if you run:
yay -S optimus-manager
it could fail to build or you can miss to choose the right option. so read the output and make sur eit shows installing.

And it is reported that the qt version is needed in some cases also if you run gtk DE as the normal version is not working in any cases

1 Like

So for budgie are you suggesting optimus-manager-qt then?

i would try optimus-manager first and if it do not work then try optimus-manager-qt

1 Like

Is this on the right track then for the problem with Dual monitor on Display port and crashing at login? Because it is Hybrid graphics i suggested to set this up?

if system is not set up to handle GPU behavior it could be the issue for sure.

This is what I was talking about resulting in the output stating that that service did not exist.

I also tried multiple different options within the installer on multiple installs and it still didn’t work.

The 1 method I didn’t try is what it said not to do, which was install the QT version on the DE that is strictly not listed as the QT options.

I want to make a correction, I thought the other poster said display port as a way of describing the socket for the HDMI port (language barrier), but I can definitely say that this is for HDMI, not DisplayPort.

I thought it was Display Port because i saw this in the output?

Monitor-1: eDP1 res: 1920x1080 hz: 60 dpi: 143 size: 340x190mm (13.4x7.5") 
  diag: 389mm (15.3") 

I could not hint as to how that would’ve appeared. If it’s talking about connections from that monitor, I have a Display Port cable attached to it, but it’s not connected to machine. The laptop only has an HDMI port so that’s definitely what I’m using. The monitor I’m plugging it into is a 1440p monitor, and the output you’re reading is the built-in laptop display at 1920x1080

could you show the output of
xrandr ?
you can use this to pastebin it and give the short-url it gives you:
xrandr | curl -F 'f:1=<-' ix.io

I’ll create a new liveusb disk and do it again. I’ve literally switched from rebornOS to manjaro to solus and none of them do what I want like I think Endeavor can so I really want this to work lol

So just to be clear, from fresh install, I’ll select the nvidia option from the liveusb, then select DE, and I check the nvidia option for the drivers.

Reboot

Open terminal, run yay -S optimus-manager first and hope for a successful install.

Reboot and check for the service or try to start the service.

If this doesn’t work, try the QT variant of optimus-manager, hope for a successful install.

Repeat.

Then if that fails, put the output from what you’re asking for in that comment or do you want me to do to that before anything else?

1 Like

xrandr will show only all connectors for displays.
If it says optimus-manager.service does not exist you do not have it installed.

check this:
pacman -Qs optimus-manager
and show the output
or:
ls /usr/lib/systemd/system/optimus-manager.service

I’ll do that and update this post when I finish.

Good news! Installing with the QT variant for optimus-manager worked!

1 Like