Hardware recommendation - EOS desktop system?

That is changing with the newer AMD Ryzens - the Vega graphics are being integrated further up the product range. Good competition for the new Intel integrated setups. Of course - GETTING any of them is difficult at the moment :grin:

1 Like

https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/cpus-processors/intel/core-i5-11600-processor-12mb-cache-up-to-4-80-ghz-p056315/

218.34 Euros and Thailand isn’t the cheapest place to buy.

Have to admit it’s thrown me quite a bit with AMD being the premium performance option while Intel is the mid range value king.

1 Like

You can get the unlocked version here for $359.00 Cdn

Intel Core i5-11600K 6-Core 12-Thread Desktop Processor - Socket LGA 1200 (Intel 500 and select 400 Series) Unlocked, 3.9 GHz Base 4.9 Turbo - 11th Gen Boxed (BX8070811600K)

1 Like

not forget that point ( need more TDP Watts than expected )
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=rocket-lake-avx512&num=6

1 Like

I guess my current AMD bulldozer also consumes lots of power …
have to use a 750w power supply for it :wink:

Here is the situation as I understand it, please correct anything I have wrong @cluster

• Current PC is 5 years old
  • OP is happy with the performance of the current machine
  • It has 16GB of DDR3 RAM
  • It has a 9 year old CPU which wasn’t even a top performer at the time
  • The PC has 3 SSDs
  • It has a discrete Geforce GT 630 GPU
  • There is a requirement for supporting a triple-monitor setup
  • The primary reason for replacing/upgrading the PC is fear of component failure after 5 years of service.

Given all that, here would be my opinions:

• There is no reason to replace parts that you are satisfied with just because they are “old”. The obvious exception to that rule is spinning disks but you don’t seem to have any of those.
  • There is probably no reason to spend money on a high-end CPU. The current CPU you are satisfied with is very slow by modern standards.
  • If you replace your mainboard, you are probably going to have to replace your RAM because of the DDR3.
  • A used PC probably isn’t a good recommendation since component age is important to the OP.
  • Components are currently very expensive, relatively speaking.

So lastly, here my personal recommendations based on what you have shared so far:

• Instead of investing in new gear you don’t need, invest in your backup strategy. In the long-term, it is a more valuable investment. If you already have a good backup strategy, do nothing. It sounds like you are happy with your current setup.
  • If you really want to replace your PC, buy an inexpensive PC with onboard graphics and add your existing video card to it to get multi-monitor support. In the current market, this will probably save you money over building or replacing many components. For $500-600 USD you can get a PC significantly faster than the one you already have.
  • As an alternative strategy to re-using your current GPU, you could buy the cheapest GPU you can find that supports 3 monitors. On the used market you would probably be looking at $40-50. In this case, you would still have 2 complete machines. The original machine could be sold or repurposed.
3 Likes