Grub 2:2.06.r322.gd9b4638c5-1 won't boot and goes straight to the BIOS after update

Sorry! I feel confused and lost.
Both statements appear to be opposite of each other for me!
I trust what you say @sradjoker and I trust also what @dalto says.

This is then a technical thing beyond my humble understanding!
So. it is OK any way.
I will stick with my current systemd-boot to be on the safe side.

My statement out of context. That was in response to someone basically saying that everything would work because the grub from XeroLinux was already installed. My point was that EOS will install a separate copy of grub. I wasn’t trying to say that EOS uses a custom version of grub.

1 Like

I see.
I understand what you said now.
Thank you @dalto .

1 Like

Grub is grub! :wink:

and little grub?
2022-09-28_19-46

pp,840x830-pad,1000x1000,f8f8f8

First half of your statement, yes, there is. https://man.archlinux.org/man/pacman.conf.5

A move to ignore updates should be done carefully and with some caution especially on a rolling release.

I was just hoping it can be done smoothly.
I just thought I can go back to a working Grub and just keep it without breaking again with an update. (I am not really interested in doing so and so after each update of Grub. This is not the way Linux or a rolling release should be)
But appears to me I better stick to where I am now with systemd-boot. (though not enjoying booting to earlier snapshots in cas something happens).

I went back to grub after it tried systemd-boot but i like grub and i also like rEFInd because with rEFInd i can boot from grub or the built in kernel image vmlinuz-linuz. There are no guarantees that something won’t break whether it’s grub or something else. This is a rolling release and software changes. New things get implemented and sometimes they don’t work as intended in all cases. Grub has been around since 1995. It’s a solid as anything out there.

3 Likes

who does not like it.

By definition, it is software and programming, so there will always be bugs!

I was just thinking to write a 2 lines script, let me call it sysupdate.sh

yay -Syu
yay -S grub

So, I will be sure Grub will be reinstalled if there is an update. It won’t hurt if it is installed again I think.

I’m sure there might be an “if” command, if Grub updated then install grub (but I don’t know how-to).

I’m no expert so may I ask do I need to add a 3rd line to the script

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

In any case, can I just not reboot and maybe reboot some time later with several Grub updates/reinstall?
What you think?

Just running yay alone implies the -Syu.

If no arguments are provided ‘yay -Syu’ will be performed.

:eye: man yay

This command would only install (or reinstall) the grub “package” and not the bootloader itself.
In order to installing the boot loader you would need to use the grub-install command.
This is only needed whenever there is an update to the package.
No no need to (re-)install the “package” grub on every occasion when you update your system.

:eye: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Grub

2 Likes

Also, whenever there is an update to the grub package, you would see a message like the one below:

To use the new features provided in this GRUB update, it is recommended to install it to the MBR or UEFI. Due to potential configuration incompatibilities, it is advised to run both, installation and generation
of configuration:
     $ grub-install ...
     $ grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
1 Like

Thanks a lot @pebcak
So, it should be something like

yay
grub-install

and that’s all to be sure I won’t by mistake skip grub-install and grub-mkconfig,this way I will be updating “normally” as before the Grub issue.
I would just run my script of the 3 commands above (whether there is a grub update or not)?

You don’t need to run grub-install on every occasion when you update your system.

Just run yay to update the system.

Pay attention to the terminal output and only when there is an update to the “package” Grub, you would see a message like the one posted above.

Only then you would need to run:

$ grub-install 
 $ grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

I know this for sure.
I was just thinking of finding a way to do it as we used to update before with no need to do the 2 extra commands.
Doing them in case Grub did not update will cause any problems?
(I did it once, Grub updated and I did not do them properly - tired, sleepy, distracted…)

I don’t believe so.
It is just not necessary but if it will give you some peace of mind, by all means, do so.

1 Like

Yes, peace of mind! I don’t want to take any risk. This way I will be just updating as we did before this Grub issue. (though doing extra unnecessary steps that won’t hurt) Am I right?
So I can just make this script, I will create a command pointing to this script assume I call it “sysupdate” that calls the script sysupdate.sh which is

yay
grub-install

Should I put sudo before “grub-install” and “grub-mkconfig” in the script? (as I learned here I should not “sudo yay”)

P.S. I do not really need to reboot after running my script whether there were update(s) or not? What if several Grub updates without reboot?
(Sorry for too many questions)

That should work.

I guess you’ll be fine to reboot when there is a need to. Like after a kernel update or updates to other core system packages.

EnOS has a pacman hook to notify when you need to reboot.

For details, see: https://github.com/endeavouros-team/PKGBUILDS/blob/master/eos-hooks/eos-reboot-required2

I don’t think a grub-install (or several) will necessitate an immediate reboot.

1 Like

Sorry. to be sure I get it right, I should put “sudo” before the commands.

Well, another and hopefully last question.
I remember we played with kernel, efi… etc while converting to systemd-boot as per @dalto guidance.
Should I start with

yay -Rc systemd-boot

or something like that?
I think we need to do something to “reverse” what was done?
Any link or just a few commands to reverse.

I really appreciate your support.
Thank you.

Not before yay.

I would think that perhaps @dalto is better suited to assist you on that one.

1 Like