Grub 2:2.06.r322.gd9b4638c5-1 won't boot and goes straight to the BIOS after update

this does show on reddit though: https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/wx90x4/latest_grub_update_testing_repo_couldnt_boot/

2 Likes

I made an account juste to thank you, kind stranger. I was able to rescue my system quickly thanks to those instructions. Thanks!

7 Likes

Hello and welcome @mos8580 :smiley:

1 Like

Is this the same bug or something else?

no

most of reports are not of today

I have no issues with my arch plasma install. 5800x 6700gt. The only difference is I don’t use os prober.

The Reddit thread posted by @Chinaboy5216 is from today, though. So it certainly seems like an upstream issue.

2 Likes

Yeah, was just checking this… Thanks for replying

1 Like

Certainly seems to be something very wrong here. The previous grub update gave out of memory and theming errors for me, whereas this one just crashes and reboots to the bios. I’ve never had problems with it before.

Aren’t these sorts of major bugs supposed to be caught in the testing repos?

It doesn’t seem to be impacting all users. I haven’t looked at it at all so I don’t know what the actual issue is.

1 Like

Well, that’s what I thought, but somehow this error got past and made its way to stable.

1 Like

Using a live boot flash drive:

after running sudo fdisk -l, my output is

/dev/nvme0n1p7 479748098  958842879 479094782 228.5G Linux filesystem

I create the folder /mnt/rescue

and try to mount to it with:

sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p7 /mnt/rescue/
mount: /mnt/rescue: unknown filesystem type 'ext4'.
       dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call.

Any ideas why ext4 is an unknown type?

Is perhaps the mount destination (/mnt/) not an ext4 system? So that mount hangs on it? Just an idea…
Although, the error message doesn’t sound like it.

What ISO are you booting off of?

Is it possible for the members of the EndeavourOS team to create a program that one could download, copy to a thumb drive, insert the drive into the affected computer(s), and (semi-)automatically fix the GRUB problem?

The instructions given above are certainly clear enough but I’m afraid that actually implementing them might be a bit too complex for me. We now have two computers which are affected by this bug; I am not updating any of our other EOS computers at this time.

Thanks for considering my suggestion and for any other ideas.

Lawrence

It is possible, but the time it would take to develop it would likely be substantial.
There are many things to consider that make it complicated to handle generically.

• btrfs
  • lvm
  • luks
  • md
  • multiboot scenarios
  • identifying the correct device.

You should be following these instructions instead anyway:
UEFI: https://discovery.endeavouros.com/system-rescue/arch-chroot-for-efi-uefi-systems/2021/03/
non-UEFI: https://discovery.endeavouros.com/system-rescue/arch-chroot-for-bios-legacy-systems/2021/03/

The latest

how would i go about getting the other updates, but not grub?

1 Like

Here is what worked for me and my setup. I did not need to downgrade grub, but I did need to run grub-install.

1: Boot into an EndeavourOS Live USB.
2: Open terminal
3: Check disks: sudo fdisk -l

Device              Start        End    Sectors   Size Type
/dev/nvme0n1p1       2048    2099199    2097152     1G EFI System
/dev/nvme0n1p2    2099200    2131967      32768    16M Microsoft reserved
/dev/nvme0n1p3    2131968  421529599  419397632   200G Microsoft basic data
/dev/nvme0n1p4  421529600 1470105599 1048576000   500G Microsoft basic data
/dev/nvme0n1p5 1470105600 1953525134  483419535 230.5G Linux filesystem

The above is my output:

nvme0n1p1 has type EFI System. This is the boot partition. This will be mounted to /mnt/boot/efi
nvme0n1p2, nvme0n1p3, and nvme0n1p4 are my Windows partitions. They are ignored because they still boot.
nvme0n1p5 has type Linux filesystem. This is the root partition. This will be mounted to /mnt

4: Mount disks:

sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p5 /mnt
sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /mnt/boot/efi

5: Arch-chroot:

sudo arch-chroot /mnt

6: Check for my user:

ls home

should return adjagu for me, will be different for everyone.

7: Repair GRUB on EFI/UEFI:

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

8: Reinstall GRUB on EFI/UEFI:

sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=EndeavourOS-grub

9: Exit Arch-Chroot:

exit

10: Unmount mounts:

sudo umount /mnt/boot/efi
sudo umount /mnt

11: Reboot:

sudo reboot

After rebooting I choose EndeavourOS-grub from my computers BIOS UEFI boot menu.

Computer boots into the EndeavourOS boot loader (like it used to do before the last update) and all of my OS’s (including Windows) are available for selection.

8 Likes