Grub 2:2.06.r322.gd9b4638c5-1 won't boot and goes straight to the BIOS after update

same here i done arch install reset grub and downgrade to the prior grub package reinstall grub stuff regenerate cfg file… reboot and do the update with exactly the same result that it goes directly into firmware setup…
doing grub-install solved it… not 100% but i can boot again after it…

What i see is that it could be also grub-theming is causing issues … so i would suggest to remove the grub theme in addition…

i tried removing them and there is no difference aside from i see the linux with linux on linux dancing with linux

1 Like

on some laptop also see efibootmgr you have more entries. that cause also 452 out of rfange pointer…

cleanup nvram change bootorder fix that because the grub name is changed.

yea i see at telegram… and io do also see similar if i do grub-install it does not create a new entry in my uefy firmware anymore… it was doing this before and sets it to boot as default is this the same?

some entries is like EndeavourOS-3303 as example you name is EndeavourOs-GrUB is different labeled

in VM it seems keep it clean :slight_smile: here and there has this issue… is probably leftovers also , also with more leftovers in nvram

I did testing with and without grub-tools yesterday. I saw no differences.

2 Likes

Curiouser and curiouser…

:thinking:

I hope that this “bug” gets fixed soon!

As I have not updated my “main” computer since this “bug” was disclosed, would it be safe at this time to update it with:

yay --ignore grub ?

Lawrence

I also updated a laptop with an Arch install and didn’t have any issues with it.
Basic grub theme no grub-tools…

I had the same problem with a desktop.

How did you restore from a timeshift snapshot without a bootable system?

Very strange; I reproduced the issue multiple times last night.

4 times with grub-tools = 4 failures to boot.

4 times without grub-tools = 4 successful boots.

I just now tried it once again; with grub-tools installed, a reboot fails:

Without grub-tools, the boot proceeds normally.

Extremely odd that I am getting such consistent results doing this, and a couple of other users have said that this seems to have worked for them, while others are not seeing a difference. Extremely odd.

Granted, I am using VMs, not bare metal, but I would have thought the results would be the same.

2 Likes

It doesn’t seem odd to me.

In your tests without grub-tools, you probably aren’t running grub-mkconfig.

The issue won’t occur if you don’t run grub-mkconfig which injects the problematic line into your grub config.

3 Likes

Boot off a live ISO and install timeshift on it.

1 Like

I updated GRUB while following the instructions from this link:

But now, each time I reboot, I get the following message:

Booting 'EndeavourOS, on linux'

Loading kernel linux ...
452: out of range pointer: 0x631d9020

Aborted. Press any key to exit.

When I press any key to exit, it just continues on to the login screen as normal, but it’s still worrying to me that I am getting this message every time I boot into the system now, especially after this recent GRUB update. Not to mention that it’s annoying to have to press a key every single time.

How do I fix this problem? Or will it go away by itself when the next GRUB update comes out?

has to do bit on nvram. if you open efibootmgr there are multiple entries

endeavouros-Grub is the working entrie
with sudo efibootmgr -b xxxx -B you can remove the faulty ones
and sudo efibootmgr -o XXXX,YYYY,ZZZZ

to change the boot order if the bootorder not is correct
you see on top of efibootmgr

2 Likes

Confirmed and thank you!
I removed grub-tools with -Rcdns (which removed another dependency, don´t remember the name…) and updated 3 uefi machines, no problems at all!

edit: just to reiterate, one computer has 2 ssd’s. The first ssd (xfce) I updated with grub-tools and it got borked. The second ssd (cinnamon) I updated after removing grub-tools, ti worked flawlessly

That is bad. You now have a the grub issue and don’t know it.

As soon as you run grub-mkconfig the issue is going to show up. Also, when you install new kernels they won’t be added to the grub menu.

Thanks for the info, but I will change all to refind.
But out of curiosity, how is this different from the std arch installation hooks?
Has EOS changed this that much? I mean, this grub-tools package is really necessary?