Greetings y'all

Hi everyone. I’ve added EndeavourOS Cinnamon to my new AMD laptop. I was a little hesitant because the AMD 4500U is still pretty new. I experienced some random glitches using another Arch-like distro (but no issues using MX-Linux or Windows.) But so far so good here. It must be the pure Arch kernel!

I’m glad to see so many familiar faces. While many are very recent arrivals, I was surprised by how many have already been here for a while. I’ll certainly enjoy the friendly and drama-free community.

My PC experience is Windows since DOS\win286 and Linux since win8.1, mostly Mint, otherwise Manjaro and brief visits with MX-Linux, Sparky, Peppermint, LMDE, ArcoLinux, Neon, and Kaos - among other shorter trials. Ubuntu(Unity) was my first Linux but it barely lasted a month before trying Mint.

Technically, I have a some catching up to do. I’ve mainly used distros where the CLI is usually avoidable. I hope to be able to help as I gain more relevant experience. I do have obsolete experience booting 64bit Linux ISOs on uefi32, but my weary baytrail 2-in-1 is way past ready for recycling (cracked screen, swelling battery, no bass sound.) The new laptop kind of seals its fate.

7 Likes

Welcome aboard!

2 Likes

welcome

2 Likes

Agreed. This is one of the reasons I decided to come over here, e.g. it’s quite nice having ringo-led chatrooms again. :joy:

You’ll be amazed how quickly you get use to the CLI, and then how much more efficient it tends to be!

5 Likes

Welcome!

2 Likes

Welcome! I also use Linux Mint, Mx Linux, Manjaro and EOS. We can exchange experiences if needed.

3 Likes

Welcome @jbMacAZ
Nice to see some more AMD hardware.

3 Likes

Welcome to the fun :beers: And I see (based on the flag) another American and (based on the topic), perhaps even another southerner, both of which are welcome in my book :smiley:

4 Likes

Welcome.
I have noticed MX Linux has occupied #1 on DistroWatch for some time.

2 Likes

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

I’ve been wondering how it’s remained top for so long? I know it’s a great distro but I don’t ever hear it talked about.

3 Likes

Holly molly, I didn’t notice you’d just rolled I’m @jbMacAZ. Nice to see so many familiar Linux users.

5 Likes

Thank you all for the warm welcome. :smiley:

@ramblinwreck When I went to college there were only 8 schools in the ACC. GT was one, UVa was another.

@zoli62 I have MX 19.2 installed on a USB stick. My plan for the laptop is to multi-boot. Mint is my old reliable, EndeavourOS will be the bright red sports car and MX is the designated backup on the USB stick. Windows for tax time, other oddities and BIOS updates without jumping through purist hoops.

To my fellow “refugees”: It’s great to see so many here. It makes the transition a lot easier. This forum feels more similar to how the other one used to be a few years back.

4 Likes

Ahhh, the good ole days. I think the ACC is way too big now (BC, Pitt and Syracuse???), but I know why they do it for sure (spoiler alert: :moneybag:).

1 Like

It is nice to see you here! Welcome.

3 Likes

I’m glad you like the distribution itself and the community that is here. Indeed, we try to help each other to the best of our ability. MX Linux gives stability, EOS freshness and speed, Windows is good for other things. I even have macOS on the table because it’s Unix based.

4 Likes