GPU Fans Ramp to the Moon And Stay There Without Reason

Sure. However, if the card works correctly in Windows but not under any Linux distro then there’s not much else to be done other than RMA the card.

It worked fine in Mint for a year with the same games, its not a new hardware addition. I wish I could pinpoint when exactly this started happening but I’m unsure now. I’m pretty sure it even worked on Manjaro when I briefly spent time on that distribution as well, but yeah now Manjaro/Endravour/Pop all exhibit the exact same behavior. Ironically I’m unable to attempt reinstallation for Mint or most other Ubuntu based distros due to a completely separate issue I’ve had lately with their installers not working. Pop! Seems to use a different type of installer, was able to get that loaded on my drive, but same issue.

If I can’t get this figured out soon I’ll probably resort to installing Windows on a separate drive and dual booting or something for awhile. Like some sort of filthy animal ;_;

I’m also going to try physically removing the GPU from my computer, booting, poet off, then just reseating it and booting again. Because who knows lol.

1 Like

When I try to install this I get the following error with dependencies:

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing nvidia-utils breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils=495.46' required by nvidia-dkms

If I try to manually remove nvidia-utils and nvidia-dkms, Pacman cites me a bunch of other packages that are dependent on it and therefore cannot be removed.

What would be the proper way to upgrade to the 510 drivers? Just want to make sure I don’t make a bunch of package dependency spaghetti on my computer.

Edit: even including nvidia-utils-beta in the install command results in the same issue “nvidia-utils-beta and nvidia-utils are in conflict”.

Was vaguely hopeful the 5.16 kernel update may magically fix something, but no. Since it’s already affected several editions of the kernel I think it’s safe to say the kernel itself isn’t part of the issue.

Trying to install “yay -S nvidia-beta nvidia-utils-beta nvidia-beta-dkms” gives me this package discrepancy:

:: nvidia-utils-beta and nvidia-utils are in conflict. Remove nvidia-utils? [y/N] y
:: removing nvidia-utils breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils=495.46' required by nvidia-dkms

If I try to manually remove the nvidia driver packages to allow for the beta installation, the errors just go further down the tree.

yay -Rns nvidia-utils nvidia-dkms

:: removing nvidia-utils breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils' required by lib32-nvidia-utils
:: removing nvidia-utils breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils' required by nvidia-settings
:: removing nvidia-utils breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils' required by python-py3nvml
:: removing nvidia-utils breaks dependency 'vulkan-driver' required by steam
:: removing nvidia-utils breaks dependency 'vulkan-driver' required by steam-native-runtime

I’m unsure/doubtful the driver update will resolve this, but if someone could help me properly update this package without jacking up my dependencies, I would very much appreciate it. Thank you all for your suggestions thus far :slight_smile:

You have to build the packages then install them all together. It can be tricky to do if you’re actively using them; something like makechrootpkg would work, or a build container.

There are some pre-compiled packages in my repo, you can install them directly:

sudo pacman -U https://repo.m2x.dev/current/{community/x86_64/nvidia-{beta-dkms,{settings,utils}-beta},multilib/x86_64/lib32-nvidia-utils-beta}-510.39.01-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

(assuming you don’t need OpenCL, but you can probably guess the URL for those).

Have you tried testing an older kernel, like 5.10 or 5.4?