Google Chrome data capturing / data transmission behaviour

Similar to my previous post about Firefox data capturing this is about Google Chrome.

Here is an article in the Kuketz IT Security blog about Google Chrome and which data it captures and transmits to Google. Very detailed and interesting.

The blog is only in german.

Fazit:

Google versucht erst gar nicht für Privatsphäre oder Datenschutz zu werben. Angesichts der vorliegenden Ergebnisse wäre das auch völlig daneben. Im Grunde ist Chrome nur für jene empfehlenswert, die schon jetzt Google nutzen bzw. kein Problem damit haben, dass Google alle Informationen über einen selbst zentral speichert und auswertet. Datenschutzsensible Nutzer sollten hingegen einen großen Bogen um Chrome machen.

Persönlich möchte ich gar nicht wissen, welche Daten zwischen dem Browser und Google übermittelt werden, wenn jemand tatsächlich sein Google-Konto verknüpft. Dass Google den Nutzer ohne seine Einwilligung trackt dürfte ebenso wenig überraschen, wie die Übermittlung jeder Download-URL an den Tech-Konzern.

Translated with deepl.com:

Google does not even try to promote privacy or data protection. In view of the results, that would be completely wrong. Chrome is basically only recommendable for those who already use Google or do not have a problem with Google storing and evaluating all information about them centrally. Privacy-sensitive users, on the other hand, should give Chrome a wide berth.

Personally, I don’t even want to know what data is transmitted between the browser and Google when someone actually links their Google account. The fact that Google tracks the user without his consent should come as no surprise, just like the transmission of every download URL to the tech company.

1 Like

Chrome/Chromium only exists to capture browsing history to help Google Search continue its dominance and further the expanding of Google/Alphabet. I do not know why anyone who cares about privacy online or offline would use it.

2 Likes