Good morning

Good Morning … Miami
Welcome to the purple side!

2 Likes

Hello and welcome @OctavioHurst :wave:

Hello Octavio :wave:
Wishing you the best experience with this robust software :slight_smile:

Welcome onboard. Have fun in this great and helpful community. With twenty years of Linux behind you, you can already be a really routine user. I myself got to know Linux at the turn of the millennium. May I ask what distros you used at first? What did you like about Arch Linux? I myself saw Red Hat for the first time, and then used it in a production environment, which ran on a gateway at my workplace at the time. Then came Suse, as the first distribution I used with a desktop environment. Then came Debian, which was my “student distribution” for a long time. Then came Linux Mint, then Manjaro, and Antergos as the direct predecessor of EndeavorOS. When the development of this stopped, first the community was created, then EndeavorOS. I have been here since the beginning, i.e. three and a half years. I feel good because the community is friendly, there are no stupid questions, and you can even ask about other distributions. I haven’t even started Windows in the last year or two.

2 Likes

Hi @zoli62

That’s interesting. The first distro I tried was Redhat back in the day from the front of a magazine. I found the support not very good online when I first used it and didn’t like the package management. Debian I think was after that and then an early user of Ubuntu followed. That was with Unity I think (I’ve been through quite a few versions of Ubuntu).

I settled on kubuntu because I loved KDE. I ran that for years. Never seriously though as I was still encamped in Windows. I just couldn’t make the leap seriously and it was down to gaming. I’m not a massive gamer but I enjoy games during downtime. Also being a musician and a photographer I had Windows programs that I couldn’t find good replacements for.

I got a DAW called reaper that also had a native Linux version. I learned this and enjoyed the transition from Cubase. I also found darktable on Linux that’s really good too. And then Proton finally enabled me to go to Linux full-time about 7 or 8 months ago. Haven’t looked back and don’t miss it at all! I helped to setup a Windows 11 laptop a few months ago and I was disgusted with all the data gathering stuff on it and how Microsoft were trying to restrict it to the Microsoft Store. Thankful I was with Linux!

Distro hopped from Ubuntu Studio to Manjaro to eos. Other distros I’ve used for different projects include raspian, Kali & Backtrack, knoppix, Fedora, Home Assistant OS and probably others I can’t remember. I used to love getting the free distro CDs that came with magazines :grin:

Oh I also worked as a programmer on a UNIX system about 30 years ago. That’s where I fell in love with the command line and vi. Loved my Wyse 50 terminal :wink:

1 Like

Since I used to work in a library, I had easy access to the cd supplements of the magazines. This is how I came to Suse, for example. I didn’t like Red Hat too much either, but it was running on the gateway at my workplace at the time. I’m not a big gamer either. I like to take photos, but I’m not a professional photographer. I like all kinds of music, but I’m not a musician. So I didn’t have to replace the graphics and music programs I used to use on Windows on Linux, I have completely average usage habits. With the addition that I liked to test different Linux distributions for a long time, this was also thanks to me as a system administrator. Then I have now docked at one, namely EndeavorOS, which is closest to Arch. By the way, surprisingly, I did not dare to try Arch for a long time, because it seemed complicated and difficult to install and use.

2 Likes

Arch - I did try it and had a medium amount of success by following the wiki. The install script does make things easier so you can hit the ground running without going through the wiki as much. However I don’t really see the point when you can have a distro like EOS that takes the pain out of an install. The dev team has made it straightforward and easy to install so thanks definitely deservedly goes to them :+1:

I understand Arch is about learning to a certain degree, but there’s also LFS. That’s where you should be in my opinion if you want learn how Linux works. But how much time does the average user have? Not a week for sure!!

Everyone’s different and we all like different things so ultimately it’s about choice. And Linux is amazing for choice :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes, we are all different. Some people want to learn how Linux works, some people just want to use it. In my opinion, some knowledge of the commands does not hurt even if someone just wants to use them.