Gnome system information: the good, the bad or the gnome?

That is exactly the point: “for monitoring”.

Monitoring implies that the data is captured frequently to monitor the behavior of the system and the behavior of the user. If you are familiar about Microsoft Office 365 and the discussion about the telemetry data transmitted to Microsoft you understand what that means.

gnome-info-collect does not collect data for monitoring purposes.

So Gnome isn’t intent on “monitoring” their users? Even if a one-time thing you say?

I’ve looked at the data they’re intent on collecting currently. And I cannot see their point, as in a way related to “improving” Gnome, as they say, if not for one thing - the extensions - some of which they even might be willing to integrate.
Other than that, I often think it could be improved in many more ways:
Some well known Gnome “issues” pointed out by the user-community have persisted for years, and been ignored, not solved. - They seemingly sh… on what users think is important.

They are very well aware of the most used gnome-extensions, as they have counts on them. If in doubt, check out extension-manager…

To me it looks like they just want to gas-light users into believing they take their views into account.

Just another marketing-feat, if you ask me.

YMMV :peace_symbol:

I am specifically concerned about the term “telemetry” in this context. “telemetry” and “montioring” both imply a permanent connection to a remote server where data about system/user behaviour is transmitted frequently.

This is what Microsoft is doing with their products and this is what gnome is NOT doing.

I believe we need to be precise with the terms we are using. Telemetry is a buzz word in the data privacy space. If you talk about telemetry to a data privacy officer she is eventually going wild.

Asking the gnome users for system information in a one time shot with gnome-info-collect is not telemetry.

Ok, forgive my emotional utterance of the word, according to the definition you gave.

It is way besides my above point.

:v:

I am ok to change the title, no hard feelings from my side. If it is not too late…

Done :white_check_mark:

2 Likes

Exactly, and it’s opt-in, which means it’s not being done stealthily.
Thank you so much for the clarification. I could not see anything in the data that would compromise my security.

Yet I have opted out, although I can’t evade Gnome completely on Fedora, but install Xfce alongside as my daily driver. Some of the reasons for opting-out, I have posted above.

https://blogs.gnome.org/aday/2022/09/15/gnome-info-collect-closing-soon/

2 Likes

Hopefully dash to panel will make it default in the next version!

Edit: if I install gnome on 3 laptops and send the info, that makes 0.13 % of the voices. Not bad :thinking:

I’m running the latest version on Fedora Rawhide (Gnome 43.rc). Nothing like that can be seen in there.

While the extensions dash-to-dock and dash-to-panel have made it to be compatible with Gnome 43 during the last days and weeks.

If you look at the release-schedule, it seems highly unlikely, that any other major changes will be introduced in the upcoming version.

As I’ve said further above, the whole gnome-info-collect thing seems more like a marketing-gimmick to me like, “Oh yes, we do ‘listen’ to our users…”

:wink: