GNOME global search doesn't find files in my language

Hello all
This one is a bit weird (in my opinion). The GNOME global menu does not show any of my files in my native language. When I check the input for the search, I notice that it does not input special characters. I find that very weird behavior because I installed the DE using Icelandic, the default input is Icelandic, the environment is in Icelandic, and currently only the search is not accepting Icelandic inputs.
This is a bit funny, because if the special character is late in the name of the file, the global search shows the file until I try to input the Icelandic character.

I personally have not found much about this exact behavior and I am hoping that I could get some pointers here.

inxi -FAZ
System:
  Host: ProX15 Kernel: 6.0.12-arch1-1 arch: x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: GNOME
    v: 43.2 Distro: EndeavourOS
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: SLIMBOOK product: PROX-AMD5 v: Standard
    serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: SLIMBOOK model: SLIMBOOK v: Standard serial: <superuser required>
    UEFI: American Megatrends LLC. v: N.1.06GRU06 date: 05/25/2022
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 62.6 Wh (71.0%) condition: 88.2/91.6 Wh (96.2%)
CPU:
  Info: 8-core model: AMD Ryzen 7 5700U with Radeon Graphics bits: 64
    type: MT MCP cache: L2: 4 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 908 min/max: 400/4372 cores: 1: 1809 2: 1462 3: 400
    4: 1243 5: 400 6: 400 7: 987 8: 1102 9: 400 10: 400 11: 1098 12: 400
    13: 1148 14: 1098 15: 1098 16: 1098
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Lucienne driver: amdgpu v: kernel
  Device-2: Chicony HD Webcam type: USB driver: uvcvideo
  Display: wayland server: X.Org v: 22.1.7 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.7
    compositor: gnome-shell driver: gpu: amdgpu resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6 Mesa 22.3.1 renderer: AMD Radeon Graphics (renoir LLVM
    14.0.6 DRM 3.48 6.0.12-arch1-1)
Audio:
  Device-1: AMD Renoir Radeon High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
  Device-2: AMD ACP/ACP3X/ACP6x Audio Coprocessor driver: N/A
  Device-3: AMD Family 17h/19h HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
  Sound API: ALSA v: k6.0.12-arch1-1 running: yes
  Sound Server-1: PipeWire v: 0.3.63 running: yes
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
    driver: r8169
  IF: enp1s0 state: down mac: b0:25:aa:4e:4c:5b
  Device-2: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 driver: iwlwifi
  IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 14:85:7f:0a:6e:73
Bluetooth:
  Device-1: Intel AX200 Bluetooth type: USB driver: btusb
  Report: rfkill ID: hci0 state: up address: see --recommends
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 494.58 GiB used: 56.88 GiB (11.5%)
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Crucial model: CT500P2SSD8 size: 465.76 GiB
  ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Kingston model: DataTraveler 3.0
    size: 28.82 GiB
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 465.46 GiB used: 51.6 GiB (11.1%) fs: btrfs
    dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2
  ID-2: /boot/efi size: 299.4 MiB used: 608 KiB (0.2%) fs: vfat
    dev: /dev/nvme0n1p1
  ID-3: /home size: 465.46 GiB used: 51.6 GiB (11.1%) fs: btrfs
    dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2
  ID-4: /var/log size: 465.46 GiB used: 51.6 GiB (11.1%) fs: btrfs
    dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2
Swap:
  Alert: No swap data was found.
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 50.8 C mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 46.0 C
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:
  Processes: 394 Uptime: 4h 43m Memory: 15.01 GiB used: 8.43 GiB (56.1%)
  Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.24

Ok, I think this behavior is a bug.
I have been trying to connect to gnome.org so I can see how to put in but report/ask for feature, but always get a bad gateway. Has the official webpage moved?

The site https://www.gnome.org/ does have trouble loading on my system currently, too…

I made a bug thread at GNOME gitlab account here, and I have found out that this issue seems to only affect Arch based systems
There are others that seem to have similar problem with their Arch GNOME shell. Maybe the maintainers could check this out? I don’t really want to reinstall just to have global search work properly.
Does anyone have an idea how to start figuring out this problem?

First try Archwiki advice on Gnome keyboard layouts, and see if that is a workaround. I am sure Gnome would never introduce such a bug, so I assume it’s a new feature :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: .

I had such a bug with rofi, which led the dev to xlib/xkeyboard-config/Xserver, but upstream were not helpful, so he introduced a workaround (a flag for broken-server), IIUC, which fixed the issue for rofi.

By that experience, I would suggest doing some (testing) changes to your keyboard layout configuration, to see any changed behavior. One test is what is proposed in the above Archwiki link. Another could be setting different order in keyboard layouts (if possible in Gnome), like setting us first in order, or something similar.

Since this is on a Wayland session, I don’t know how to troubleshoot keyboard layouts (if it is different than on Xorg…), though checking out if this happens also on an Xorg Gnome session might give more hints :person_shrugging: .

1 Like

Yes, but the input is only missing on the global search. It works find with Libreoffice, Latex, and all other programs that take keyboard inputs.
There are others having similar problem using dead key in global search in GNOME.

Thanks for the link though. Hadn’t found that.

1 Like

After installing ibus-libpinyin and rebooting, the global search takes special characters. I guess that was missing all this time. Now this is perfect for me.

2 Likes

There are no Arch maintainers on this team here, so maybe it could be helpful, to file a bug against Arch Gnome, as well as you did with Gnome.

Other than that, Gnome seems to be heavily invested in enriching their newest “features” (not bugs), as petsam has already mentioned.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.