GNOME 43 is Here. What's Working, What's Not?

I’m almost there with you. While I’m extremely impressed by EndeavourOS, in my 25 years of using Linux, I’ve seen a lot of great distributions come and go. I hope that EndeavourOS can stand the test of time and doesn’t fall to the massive direction changes and lost of developers that other distributions have suffered through.

I’ll admit that KDE Plasma is by far my favorite DE because of it has pretty much remained flexible and consistent from the start. Plasma’s developers improve on features instead of removing them, which makes me respect their work more. GNOME developers have always done a great job at making GNOME look stunning by default, but they kind of ruin that beauty by removing features. I don’t mind them hiding the features, but don’t remove them. Their philosophy has caused a lot of interesting forks, like Cinnamon, MATE, and soon COSMIC, making DE hoping even more interesting to do.

Hi @ricklinux KDE is really fast and I guess it depends what your is your workflow. KDE looks good and works well out of the box.

As you may recall I once tried to make Plasma 25 do GNOME 41 things with little success.
I hope to keep this thread on the upcoming GNOME 43, open until they launch in September.
No one wants the thread to devolve into a sh#t fight comparing the current GNOME 42 to other DEs :wink:

Sometimes you got to live a little, get out a little more, and see what other folks are doing. I took a lot of inspiration from GNOME in designing and implementing some features on my KDE Plasma desktop. If GNOME didn’t exist, Plasma probably wouldn’t have overview feature. They complement each other.

Agreed. While I’ve tried to answer any questions that anyone has about Plasma, I would also like to see this thread remain focused on GNOME 43. I’m extremely interested in ensuring that GNOME 43 doesn’t have any showstoppers that will break what I have achieved with GNOME 42.

I never heard of COSMIC. I think the GNOME devs have toned down that rampage of blindly strippinng out features in the name the “minimalism”. At least I am not seeing it in the dev room.

I don’t know if they have, I hope they have, but System76 (PopOS) has decided to proceed with making their own DE anyway, that’s what COSMIC is. I’m looking forward to what they turn out actually. From some of the mock-ups and early builds it does look pretty interesting.

I was a few seconds late.

1 Like

As Scotty put it:

GTK4/Libadwaita looks intersting with a customizer project out there.

1 Like

based on Ubuntu… think I’ll pass. The laptops look good, but I would just be putting :enos: on it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

This is exactly it. Gnome is just Gnome. 42 …43 still just Gnome. :crazy_face: I got better things to do than spending my life lost in the Gnome. :rofl:

Yeah, I wouldn’t use the OS, but I do like the DE so far. Gonna have to try and get it into the AUR if no one else does. That might lead to a community edition. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

^ Fixed it for you! :kissing_heart:

1 Like

he is trying to convert people dissatisfied with GNOME to KDE.
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sounds like he’s in a Kult !
:stuck_out_tongue:

“C” what I did there?:wink:

1 Like

No… just trying to figure out how in the world Gnome is going to get any better if they don’t bring it up with the Gnome developers. :wink:

2 Likes

Does it matter if the Gnome devs don’t listen to feedback/suggestions?

Example: Budgie and Cosmic Shell devs trying to work with Gnome devs and then failing, and that resulting in them doing something different.

It’s much easier and probably more productive to complain here :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

btw, have you already seen this?

https://discourse.gnome.org/t/gnome-43-alpha-released/10491

Good place to see some of the Gnome team’s discussions.

Edit: Also looks like a new This Week in Gnome just came out!

https://thisweek.gnome.org/posts/2022/07/twig-53/

COSMIC is the name of what Pop currently uses. COSMIC itself is GNOME, a set of extensions and some modifications for a better GNOME experience.

Also this link is from April 2021, a bit before they introduced COSMIC to Pop.

Their new DE is reffered as COSMIC DE.

Captura de tela de 2022-07-22 17-56-45

PS: i don’t use dash or dock.
Captura de tela de 2022-07-22 18-03-46
Wallpaper made in 2004

https://www.deviantart.com/xterminador/gallery/37682083/wallpaper

Captura de tela de 2022-07-22 18-02-34
Captura de tela de 2022-07-22 18-02-20

1 Like

I’m thinking that poll MAY have been a LITTLE biased by being on the r/GNOME sub, but that’s still interesting to see. Also interesting that the bottom dock setup is still in second place by a lot.

@mrvictory I think they refer to both as COSMIC, not sure that they use “COSMIC DE” but I don’t mind doing it. I think they didn’t want to lose their COSMIC branding but I figured it might be confusing. And the new DE is supposed to look similar to the old GNOME modifications so I guess reusing the branding makes some sense. Still going to be confusing for some.

2 Likes