GNOME 43 is Here. What's Working, What's Not?

IMO nautilus 43 is really awful. On file operations it won’t remember the position of the file(s) it’s working on and then scrolls the view or instead won’t do anything. The circular progress bar disappears as soon as you focus a different window (it would stay visible in previous versions so you could see the current progress while working in terminal etc). And it seems more prone to crashing than before. If it wasn’t for the dependencies and for the easy file rename functions, I’m really tempted of switching to a different file manager like thunar…

2 Likes

Alas, I have been forced to use Nemo temporarily.
It’s a shame they made so many unrequested changes and pushed it out as 43.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, this is normal operating procedure for the GNOME project. They will ignore adding most of the features that users want or need. However, they will quickly and quietly remove much needed features that no one asked them to remove, then claim it was for simplicity or stability. If you mention it or complain about it, everyone automatically labels you a GNOME hater because the hive mind can’t take displays of individualism. Many of us just don’t want to be forced to rely on buggy unsupported plugins to replace a feature that was once baked in and fully supported.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if it is Nautilus, but when I copy files to a USB key or external file store I have to run the ‘sync’ command from terminal to flush the cache to the drive. If you don’t there is a good chance you will corrupt the files.

Does Nemo handle this use case automatically?

I never heard of this with any file manager.
Nemo is a good choice while Gnome is ironing out the bugs in 44, which return our expandable folders in Nautilus :sweat_smile:

Is there possibilty to change fractional scalling , other than 100 ,150 or 200%.

I tried with changing font size, it is better but not perfect :slight_smile:

Yes. It’s called KDE. Jokes aside, KDE is the only DE I know of that makes fractional scaling correct. Which was my reason for chosing KDE.

1 Like

Haha, I know. I used kDE but I dont know, doesnt feel well. Too bloated, so many settings , like windows.

On Gnome, ofc best touchpad support, but the rest is really easy to configure.

1 Like

In gnome-tweaks you can. I set it to 1.375 just for you, and it went to 1.38
So yes, you can do fractional scaling.
What am I doing here, I’m on 44.4 :rofl:

2 Likes

A recurring nightmare of mine. gnome-tweaks helps too.

1 Like

After more than 4 years of KDE, I now enjoy the simplicity of GNOME.

I never thought I would prefer GNOME at some point.

3 Likes

Ya i was going to say Gnome 43? I thought that was long over. Unless you on PopOS.

1 Like

Please don’t hijack old threads but start a new one when you have a question. Thank you.

As @manfredlotz menztioned already … this one is two times resurrected …
–closing– now for good…