GNOME 42 has been a Nightmare!

I’m just going to stick with KDE Plasma from now on. I know others have complained about the title of this forum, but GNOME 42 has been a nightmare to configure for me. I finally got to a point where it was acceptable, only to have an update or something related to extensions cause the log in to take forever. It’s disheartening because I actually like the way GNOME looks, I just hate fighting with it every other day to do what I want it to do.

Yeah, none of this makes any sense to me.

I’m sorry to hear that—43 is “suppose to” clean up the partial stuff that 42 created…I would suggest trying again in late September to see what has been done. Once you have a “working” setup–it’s easier.

1 Like

Pardon me but, why not?

Honestly, I’ve just kind of lost all faith that these issues will be fixed. It seems like every new version of GNOME doubles down on breaking extensions, themes, or making them harder to implement. I can’t get a “working” setup if I’m spending all of my time fighting issues that I shouldn’t have to fight. Plus, once I do get a “working” setup, I’m afraid that another GNOME or GTK related update is going to come along and break it.

Programs that have schemas installed in gsettings-desktop-schemas can be put in their initial state by resetting the keys in dconf/gsettings, this does not delete the directories obviously but you can put the application in its initial state as if they were just installed, Extension problems are a separate issue.

If you want to completely reset all apps to factory settings, just delete the .config/dconf/user file, when I go to report a problem, the first thing I do is reset all apps to their default stage, because I’ve already I had problems that only existed in my installation, I usually do this so I don’t have to create another user just to test a problem.

Ah yes, eheheh I also choose my poison, and test the development versions of GNOME.

https://man.archlinux.org/man/gsettings.1.en

https://man.archlinux.org/man/dconf.1.en

https://man.archlinux.org/man/dconf.7.en

Reseting a schema recursively in dconf-editor, to put gnome-shell in you initial state, resetting the org.gnome reset “all apps to default”.
Captura de tela de 2022-07-16 18-13-03

1 Like

Yes–I selectively remove/reset settings…remove directories & increase in severity depending on what I “need” to have as the end result…When I was working with Debian, I was regularly using the testing versions/writing bug reports/doing lots of work towards the next release. Sid was a real ride most times–fun & kept you on your toes :slight_smile: I’ve taken a break the last couple of years & dabble in reporting stuff…just riding along for now. Due for retirement by years-end & will take a more active role when I have a bit more time…Still REALLY enjoy the daily update rush & am looking forward to having more time to play.

1 Like

I don’t believe in installing multiple desktops together. Display managers matter. Some just work better than others with the desktop they were designed for. Gnome has always had issues with extensions and settings. So does KDE if you start changing things and addings things related to themes and settings and whatever. It happens! We’ve had many a user complain about the same stuff in KDE as well as others when they are trying to mix desktops and mucking around with everything under the sun. I don’t have these issues because i don’t do it! I keep it KISS!

4 Likes

AGREED. I have multiple installs–all with the same basic information–STILL like to keep a backup that is a week back in case of problems–testing habits die VERY hard…

The only reason I stuck with Linux for so long has been it’s flexibility. The ability to use multiple desktops and DMs, and theme them as I see fit is still a big draw to me. Let’s face it, despite the obvious issues with updating it, and the questionable moves made by Microsoft with user data, Windows 11 has been very reliable. However, I still boot into Linux because I know my privacy is protected and I can make it my own.

I’ve been using both KDE and GNOME since versions 1.x. KDE Plasma has gotten a lot better and GNOME has gotten a lot worse. I’ve had themes, icons, and plugins in KDE Plasma that have worked reliably since version 5.12 (13 major releases!). Since the release of GNOME 3.x, I can’t seem to get a extension to last just two GNOME point releases without breaking. That’s just ridiculous!

Edit: I just wanted to point out that I have had other things break in KDE Plasma. More recently in 5.25.2, Overview wouldn’t let me select a running application using touch input in Wayland. I submitted the bug report that got it fixed for 5.25.3. The developers never asked me to remove any of my themes or plugins or try to make KDE Plasma “vanilla” before submitting a bug report. They never tried to blame an issue with Plasma on the DM I was using or the fact that I had multiple DEs installed. I can only remember one KDE Plasma bug that I submitted in the last 10 years that was actually theme/plugin related.

What is this thread about again?
:sweat_smile:

Nightmares! :rofl:

I have some of those sometimes.
But no gnomes in them only humans :rofl:

1 Like

How much of a nightmare GNOME 42 has been to configure. The title is pretty much dead on!

That’s your mileage.
I can’t relate to that.

1 Like

Of course it’s my mileage. Every use case is different.

If a moderator wants to close this, we can just end this discussion now. I’ve had nothing but issues changing simple things in GNOME (icons, themes, etc) and getting extensions to work. Shame on me for expecting them to continue working after going through the trouble of getting them setup. Shame on me for actually trying to use GNOME with another desktop or display manager installed, despite having done it for over 25 years or all of the other things I guess I should be ashamed for by thinking that this shouldn’t be so difficult.

Guess you out of Gnome foo … i sure you find what fit your need , I wish you luck :vulcan_salute:

2 Likes

you gotta provide a way to troubleshoot the issue in a repeatable manner but not just that Gnome hasnt worked with a different display manager properly in years. Extensions are 3rd party so issues should be brought regarding specific extensions to the maintainer of said extension.

Many cannot replicate the same sentiment youre having but also it is in general a bad idea to run multiple DEs and expect it to all be 100% fine. Your extension issues sound like theyre related to GJS but its hard to tell for certain without logs or further troubleshooting. The theme issue can be solved simply by putting things in the right folders, any other issues that may be related to not using GDM arent solvable as its outside of the intent of GNOME.

Though honestly it sounds like maybe GNOME isnt for you, and thats fine. If youre intent on using GNOME though youll need to expect some issues using it outside of its intended scope.

3 Likes

I’ll echo Echoa …

Though honestly it sounds like maybe GNOME isnt for you, and thats fine. If youre intent on using GNOME though youll need to expect some issues using it outside of its intended scope.

If Gnome is a nightmare for you , don’t use it. It doesn’t sound like it is worth it for you given the frustration you are sharing.

Alternatively, if you feel you absolutely MUST have a version of Gnome that does things outside the scope of what the Gnome developers intend and support … you are always free to fork your own Gnome-derived DE. (I am sure you can get plenty of beta testers here on the forum).

2 Likes