Gnome 42 Beta

I’m insulted. :frowning_face:

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I’m looking forward to the release. I am so used to Gnome workflow that on my work laptop Win10, everyday I accidentally press win key hoping for exposure to come up and my brain goes this isn’t gnome you silly.

:joy::joy:

3 Likes

@TechHut’s take:

5 Likes

Between the absolute lack of any discernable workflow, coupled with unintuitive, and even worse, shortcuts which you can’t customize. . . Windows is such a waste of time for me. It’s horrible, I’m so glad I only need to use it for super basic things at work usually. I’d go completely mad if I had to use it for actual work.

Gnome is great these days. I don’t even mind the lack of customization since it fits my personal workflow so well.

4 Likes

Agreed. Windows 10 has been super buggy lately for me. Takes super long to boot and I haven’t even installed anything in terms of applications besides windows updates.

I think I’m going to flash W10 to my test laptop and see if I can figure out how to get Debian on WSL2 working to set it up on my work computer.

1 Like

it’s all looking like a solid update that provides a nice new base for future updates… just got to wait for apps to be ported to GTK4

2 Likes

Saw this on reddit, looks like they flicked the switch early?

there’s also this for the keen beans

someone already flagged those two packages out of date already as well:

https://archlinux.org/groups/x86_64/gnome/

No idea though if Arch will push it or wait till Gnome 42 (or 42.1 point release) is actually released in full.

it was definitely a point release last time, I think it’s just one dude that does the gnome packaging comes down to what time he has.

I don’t think there’s been a .0 release on Arch for a hot minute

1 Like

I’m totally fine with that. Always gives some of the extension devs a lil bit of more time to update their extensions and also the point releases have always fixed a good amount of bugs that got missed during the initial release. Going from Gnome 40 to Gnome 41.1 on Arch was the first time I didn’t have any issues or anything break (all extensions even worked), it was the smoothest update I’ve ever had. Fingers crossed I can have a similar experience with Gnome 42. Looks like the Gnome 42.1 point release comes out April 23’rd, a month after the initial release, so we’ve got some time before then!

1 Like

Same, as much as I like new stuff… it took me all of a couple of minutes to spin up a VM the other day to see what the go is and that was enough to scratch that itch

1 Like

I’m also using Nvidia, so I’ve got optimus-manager and gdm-prime and libgdm-prime installed, which sometimes need to be updated before a new Gnome release, but not always the case. Once it hits Arch in most likely end of April, I’ll probably wait 2-3 days for any last minute fixes/tweaks and then I’ll give the update a go and if need be, I’ll definitely report about it here for others to know.

2 Likes

That’s a nice first impression on gnome 42rc

I am just wondering about the new screen cast feature in screenshots, that’s pretty neat, does it also record audio and how to set the volume adequately…I assume system mic input.

5 Likes

Happy release day gnome users… now for the wait

5 Likes

Isn’t the waiting what Gnome is all about?

No, I didn’t mean it… :duck:

1 Like

It’s released today but I’m not sure you’ll be getting it in the downloads as an update for a bit. :thinking:

For those who are in a hurry and don’t like arch… :rofl:

https://news.itsfoss.com/clear-linux-gnome-42/

Awesome …i will try it then.

Edit: having trouble getting it to load on vmware but, Im installing it on v-box right now.

Edit2: Installed it and still say’s 41.3. Say’s it’s up todate. Won’t size properly in vm just frustrates me. Can’t get the ISO to load on vmware either.

Edit3: At least with the EOS version it works 100 tiime better!

Tumbleweed got it as well

2 Likes