Gnome 40 is less to my liking than 3.38 ...Edited: No, I figured it out

Interesting, this might be why I actually like Gnome 40 as I almost never use anything but super to get to the search and app favorites bar and very rarely super+arrows to move windows but I almost never do this as most of the time I just make a new workspace for each app, the only shortcut per-say i added was Gnome 40’s super+alt and scroll wheel to change workspaces.

If you don’t mind, what font and font size did you change to?

I am using Fedora so I was just digging thru their font list. I picked droid sans, 10pts instead of Cantarell 11 points. Gives, to me, a much clearer interface (especially, I must add, on third party apps such as say Firefox, where 11 pts just makes everything too big).

Gnome must be the only DE which has defaults where the UI fonts are larger than the Terminal font.

1 Like

I use mouse and keyboard with Gnome 40, and for the kind of work I do it works very nicely. There is a great extension called, “No overview at start-up” that gets rid of that weird Activities thing showing right away. Thank goodness for that!

Other than that, this is the best version of Gnome I’ve used since they went into the 3 series. The animations are smooth for me, the text is rendering very nicely, videos don’t stutter, and neither do moving windows around. This is also the first time Wayland has worked for me, too.

I’m using an 8 year old Acer laptop with a built in Intel graphics card, 16GB of RAM, a 500GB SSD for the OS(s), and a 1TB HDD for my file storage. I do have another partition with EndeavourOS’s KDE, but damned if all of my apps seem to work flawlessly in Gnome! RAM usage is a bit lower, too.

I’ll give the Gnome Devs some props for giving this version some love, but I also think that a lot of credit has to go to the way that the EndeavourOS Devs have knocked their Distro out of the park! I was a HUGE Antergos user, and was crushed when they discontinued it. I’m really glad that EndeavourOS was formed and surpassed Antergos.

Thanks Crew!

5 Likes

Oh! And, if you want to get rid of the Activities Zoom In/Out business, try ArcMenu. It works very nicely: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/3628/arcmenu/

2 Likes

The sideeffect here is if your blind gesturing with the mouse is challenging. This is what i tried to explain to the gnome team.help them understand the importance of keyboard workflows.

2 Likes

Note: this is on Fedora 34

I have now ran it on metal on my main machine for 30 hours or so and it’s… Not bad.

It has issues: Wayland is still unstable, for example. Even with Intel drivers it was smoother and more stable with Xorg. Of course updating to Nvidia requires Xorg.

I’m not a fan of the Gnome design language, to me the basic look of Gnome 40 is “childish”. Not meant in a bad way, but the combination of soft rounded design, heavy shadows under windows and Large default font which is also rounded gives a chidish impression. Also font rendering on Gnome is probably the worst of all GTK based desktops, strangely enough.

Adwaita dark theme is not yet adapted properly, for example in gedit the text becomes unreadable at times if you have dark theme activated. Which seems idiotic.

Btw Fedora actually has a less bloated install than the default gnome group in pacman. Which is nice. And surprising.

Spend a few hours in Fedora 34, which I like as a distro and to occasionally checkout what is happening in Gnome land.

No Wayland issues with AMDGPU, everything works fine. Not a fan of the Adwaita theme either, so I usually install something else. Overall Gnome 40 seems quite good. Alas there are still showstoppers for me, e.g. I don’t know how people manage with the ridiculously slow scrollwheel speed.

I actually have zero issue with the scroll wheel speed.
I also realized that if you live in Flatpak-land just abuse it :wink:
Instead of enabling the “Evil codecs” repos, I just installed Firefox, Spotify and MPV via flatpak, so they all have the codecs baked in…

I still can’t figure it out; what’s the trick :wink:

I actually started experiencing a bit of pain accessing the gnome 40 dock with a mouse on my laptop, because it requires such a big movement which is a problem on a tiny touchpad. Sometimes I’m too lazy to type and just want to point and click; and here I feel that 40 has made a regression (at least in the dock)

1 Like

One interesting note. In my Gnome 38 install I noticed the scroll wheel will sometimes be slow when I wake it from sleep.

Specifically I will lock my laptop. After 10 minutes it writes everything to the harddrive and power off. when I boot up and sign in it seems slow scrolling till I reboot.

You need extension Hot Edge

Works fab. Makes dash to dock unnecessary too.

2 Likes

For me scrolling on Gnome is always extremly slow, and I haven’t found a way to change it at all.

I notice no difference whatsoever; do you have a special mouse? I have a cheap gaming mouse (wired) and it has no difference between DEs or for that matter between Windows and Linux either.

I tested it with different mice: no-name, razor, logitech. I mean, even if the particular mouse has a bad default, where do I actually change the scrolling speed in Gnome?

Very interesting, thanks!