Gnome 3.38 released

1 Like

:+1:

Also known as Soon* :wink: But in all seriousness, most of the parts look like they’re trickling in from Testing to Stable repos now.

3 Likes

It does appear 3.38 has hit stable.

2 Likes

Damn, i’m too late :laughing:. also saw it just now. 66 Updates pending for me (not only gnome related…). Think i will wait till weekend before performing the update

I just YOLO updated it, and it seemed to go ok for me so far :wink:

3 Likes

This usually runs through my head when I just go for that update :wink: :laughing:

ebcc580f31abb231f2eb12e7bace32c8

4 Likes

Just a heads up, some extensions will not work. Currently for me: Blyr, Removable Drive Menu, and User Themes’s updates result in error and will not work. Hide Dash X and Clipboard Indicator does not work anymore. Dynamic Panel Transparency is glitchy; sometimes it works as intended, sometimes it doesn’t work.

Also can I just say, I hate how close together the app drawer is, I preferred it when it was spaced out more like in 3.36.

Edit: User Themes is working now

1 Like
OT and good-natured joke at the expense of GNOME

And the award for “Most-used GNOME-update-related statement” goes to… !

WILD APPLAUSE

8 Likes

Haha, sorry I didn’t know

On the plus side, Dash to Dock is now available for 3.38! :grinning:

From the Gnome Extensions website:

To make it work under Gnome 3.38 uninstall the extension and download it from git:
git clone https://github.com/Tudmotu/gnome-shell-extension-clipboard-indicator.git ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/clipboard-indicator@tudmotu.com

I installed it on an EndeavourOS x86_64 machine and it works except for dash-to-panel. I disabled it in Tweaks and works good as is.

However, not so good on one of my EndeavourOS Arm Gnome machine. I disabled dash-to-dock before the update. Post update it would lock up after 1 or 2 minutes. Booted and at lightdm opened a Console window and used yay to uninstall dash-to-dock. Still locked up.

This is not my Odroid N2 Gnome daily driver, this was a test RPi4b computer with Gnome. So every few days I will boot into a Console window, update with pacman, and see what happens.

Pudge

Well Guys as usual the upgrade went well as expected. on the day Gnome went into community testing. Dash to dock was built from source on the day. I’m now getting miner 38.0.1 Gnome updates from testing

The git version of dash to panel does work.

2 Likes

I waited for the update before installing the dash to dock. Been running gnome without it.

I got the git version of dash to panel working on both the x86_64 and the Arm versions.
When installing dash to panel git I had to enter yes to ‘clean compile’ or something like that.
So I am a happy camper again.

Pudge

3 Likes

Happy to report a full and flawless update! :grin: :partying_face:

2 Likes

now i’ve done the update as well, and also can report a hassle free process. No extension breakage or the like.

2 Likes

Update worked without problem for me on the Zen kernel.

3 Likes