[Git based ISO] Broken Mate installation on EndeavourOS

Hello, Bugman here :smiley:

I was doing some tests, and I’ve done something simple : replacing Xfce by Mate-Desktop. An EndeavourOS user may want to change desktop environment without installing it all again from scratch. Switching between desktop environment must be painless.

Here are the steps I followed in a VirtualMachine. I used an homemade git based ISO from 3rd september 2019 code.

1. Install EndeavourOS
  2. Opened a terminal
  3. Choose a quick and working repository by modifying /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
  4. Installed mate with a yay -S mate mate-extra
  5. Closed my Xfce-session
  6. In LightDM, I choose Mate-Desktop
And I got an half broken Mate-Desktop session....

VirtualBox_Endeavour%20Mate_04_09_2019_12_06_28

Annoying…

When I try to launch Mate Control center from command line, I got this error:

Failure loading - matecc.menu

Screenshot with error

VirtualBox_Endeavour%20Mate_04_09_2019_12_06_41

I verified to see if it was an Archlinux bug using Anarchy Linux installer. And I got a working Mate session :frowning:

Any idea to fix this bug? Thanks !

1 Like

That’s strange, I just installed it and everything works.

1 Like

hello,no problem on my side

Ouch! Looks like my homemade ISO is kinda busted. Will try with another freshly made ISO and August official one ASAP.

No comment, JR :smiley:

2 Likes

this made my day - thank you :wink:

You’re welcome. Looks like my ISO is not in a good shape. Weird bug, indeed. Get out of my home, Murphy! :smiley:

3 Likes
sudo pacman -S gnome-mate mate-extra

That way there are no problems, since Mate is a fork of Gnome, made by the great Perberos.

1 Like

Could be good rebooting the system just in case.

About the iso:

• Did you change any config?
  • Did you run sudo fix_permissions.sh before building the iso?

I rebooted, nothing changed.

No changes in config.

I remember running this script. Will make another ISO asap and test again.

1 Like

There is no gnome-mate package, only mate one. I used it in my now dead french speaking documentation on how to install easily Archlinux.

You’re right https://github.com/perberos

According to your description you didn’t unistall xfce4, meaning, nothing was uninstalled that could cause an issue. Am i correct?

• Did you try reinstalling mate and mate-extra again just in case?

• I never used yay to install official packages, i doubt this can be related, but you can test using pacman…

For now i ran out of ideas… Let’s hope builing a new iso fix it for you.

Correct.

Did not work.

Won’t change anything.

Feedbacks: official august ISO + update and yay mate mate-extra = OK.

Trying a freshly made ISO with fix-permission.sh included = busted. Just done a sudo pacman -S mate mate-extra :frowning:

What is going on?

Note: I added gnome-keyring as it was in a previous version of my error log but nothing changed. Environment display is broken.

Here is the xsession-error.log I had:

mate-session[1947]: WARNING: Unable to find provider '' of required component 'dock'

** (mate-panel:1966): WARNING **: 18:40:27.879: Menu tree loading got error:Failed to look up menu_file for "mate-applications.menu"

(mate-panel:1966): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 18:40:27.879: g_object_ref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(mate-panel:1966): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 18:40:27.879: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(mate-panel:1966): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 18:40:27.879: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(mate-panel:1966): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 18:40:27.879: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

** (mate-panel:1966): WARNING **: 18:40:27.897: Menu tree loading got error:Failed to look up menu_file for "mate-settings.menu"

(mate-panel:1966): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 18:40:27.898: g_object_ref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(mate-panel:1966): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 18:40:27.898: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(mate-panel:1966): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 18:40:27.898: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(mate-panel:1966): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 18:40:27.898: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(caja:1970): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:40:27.938: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.gnome.SessionManager.AlreadyRegistered: Unable to register client
Gdk-Message: 18:40:35.645: mate-session: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

It only happens with development based ISO.

Official August ISO with updates on it works.

1 Like

There ins’t any drastic change to archiso stuff. mate-control was updated a week or so ago

mate-control-center 2019-08-26

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?q=mate&sort=-last_update

Maybe related… I’l build an iso when i have more time and check mate environment. I need to go for now.

I have this update on my main Archlinux. And it works flawlessly. Very weird bug… Maybe tomorrow, we’ll find the answer!

on an iso of the day there is a display bug

Looks like I got the fix.

It is a bug added in /etc/environment file with this commit:

https://github.com/endeavouros-team/EndeavourOS-archiso/commit/54b2347c775c3ded56811fb2d3a0254381ed56b6#diff-6d9bbc698b701cdd2a2a36a0f7fddae9

In my working mate version - based on August official ISO, XDG_CONFIG_DIRS="/etc/skel/.config/xfce4" cannot be found.

Adding it and trying to login again = busted display. Removing it? Mate works!

@joekamprad: looks like your commit is guilty… I will try with a git based image and see if removing XDG_CONFIG_DIRS="/etc/skel/.config/xfce4" from /etc/environment fixes Mate display.

Will report ASAP.

2 Likes

And here is a video to show you why I think this commit is guilty.

I posted it on my mega.nz space:

Sorry for my “bad” english :slight_smile:

2 Likes

it is clear that changing default xdg dir to xfce4 configs will cause this problem if your DE will read also from xdg dirs… but thge change at GitHub is not ready for release, and also testing the ISO and calamares while we are developing things will be causing such problems. :wink:

So if you post something from testing current development status please do not post this as a general BUG for EndeavourOS, as it will give the wrong picture to someone reaching your post, and not knowing that you are testing something…