Getting screen tears while watching anime or scrolling through a web page

Hey! I was watching anime yesterday and I noticed the screen tears a bit when there is a bit of motion in the anime, and it also happens while scrolling through a webpage. Is there any reason for that, and preferably a solution? It isn’t a deal breaker, but I’d really rather not have that.

are you using a compositor? I believe the default one is picom in endeavour
sudo pacman -Qs picom

I think so; this is the output of the command:
local/picom 10.2-1
X compositor that may fix tearing
issues

and if you just try to execute it from the terminal with picom does it say its already running? like this?

[user@Host ~]$ picom
[ 2023-02-06 13:04:59.085 session_init FATAL ERROR ] Another composite manager is already running

[ 06/02/23 20:15:59.992 session_init FATAL ERROR ] Another composite manager is already running
Seems so!

Try lspci -k | grep -A 2 -E "(VGA|3D)" to make sure your system is using the right video card drivers.

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GA104 [GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Lite Hash Rate] (rev a1)
Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Device c972
Kernel driver in use: nvidia

I think so!

look at /etc/xdg/picom.conf on lines 219,220 if VSync is enabled or disabled try fillping the option to see if that helps.

and userlevel:
~/.config/picom.conf
as it will overwrite the default config.

Using nvidia I had to enable FullCompositingPipeline option on i3 setups to remove tearing completely.

It’s enabled; I’ll try to disable it to see if it’ll help :slight_smile:
Thank you!

Thank you! I’ll try to disable it to see if it’ll help :slight_smile:

4. Enhancement avoid screen tearing

https://discovery.endeavouros.com/nvidia/nvidia-optional-enhancements-and-troubleshooting/2021/03/

so not in the i3 setup for it …on xorg or by the commandline but best in this case is to use the xorg config… /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf

1 Like

Thanks!! I’ll try that :slight_smile:

1 Like