8  aur/heimer                    3.3.0-1      -> 3.5.0-1
7  aur/jitsi-meet-desktop-bin    2022.4.1-1   -> 2022.7.1-1
6  aur/mozillavpn                2.8.0-1      -> 2.9.0-1
5  aur/protonmail-bridge         2.1.3-1      -> 2.2.2-1
4  aur/skypeforlinux-stable-bin  8.83.0.411-1 -> 8.87.0.406-1
3  aur/slack-desktop             4.26.1-1     -> 4.27.156-1
2  aur/vscodium-bin              1.68.1-1     -> 1.70.2.22230-1
1  aur/zoom                      5.10.7-1     -> 5.11.3-1
==> Packages to exclude: (eg: "1 2 3", "1-3", "^4" or repo name)

usually I just press enter. But is it the correct answer??-

I also get this

:: Checking for inner conflicts...
[Aur:8]  heimer-3.5.0-1  jitsi-meet-desktop-bin-2022.7.1-1  mozillavpn-2.9.0-1  protonmail-bridge-2.2.2-1  skypeforlinux-stable-bin-8.87.0.406-1  slack-desktop-4.27.156-1  vscodium-bin-1.70.2.22230-1  zoom-5.11.3-1

8 heimer                           (Installed) (Build Files Exist)
  7 jitsi-meet-desktop-bin           (Installed) (Build Files Exist)
  6 mozillavpn                       (Installed) (Build Files Exist)
  5 protonmail-bridge                (Installed) (Build Files Exist)
  4 skypeforlinux-stable-bin         (Installed) (Build Files Exist)
  3 slack-desktop                    (Installed) (Build Files Exist)
  2 vscodium-bin                     (Installed) (Build Files Exist)
  1 zoom                             (Installed) (Build Files Exist)
==> Packages to cleanBuild?
==> [N]one [A]ll [Ab]ort [I]nstalled [No]tInstalled or (1 2 3, 1-3, ^4)
==> 

Again I usually press enter but what is the right answer? Why should I want to clean build all these packages?
Thanks

here you just press enter if you want to update all, unless you don’t want to update a piece of software for some reason, then type its number.

It is advisable to press enter or select None, so no clean build is carried out and the files that are required are downloaded during the update and merged with those from the yay cache. If you select e.g. All, the old package files will be removed from the yay cache (~/.cache/yay/aur-package )and a complete fresh installation will be carried out. I would select All if errors occur when updating.

Generally just opressing Enter is just fine for both - they are only there as options for the ‘exceptional’ cases. Personally, I exclude things that I don’t have time for ATM, and clean builds are only needed if there are errors without it being chosen. There may be other good reasons, but I haven’t experienced many!

Even though it is rarely necessary, I usually clean-build all the packages on my system that come from the AUR, every time they are updated. There are reasons why you may not want to do that (mainly to save bandwidth and time), but in my case, those benefits are negligible, since the AUR packages I use tend to be rather small. Clean-building packages mimics manually cloning and building them with makepkg.

I pretty much never exclude any AUR packages from updating, because that’s a partial update situation (though, usually a very harmless one). If I were building something big like a web browser from source, I’d consider excluding it if I didn’t have the time.

2 Likes