Game Performance and Dual monitors

They were with eOS/KDe I just did a re-isntall a few days ago (I had been playing with BTRFS and encryption and decided I hated the long boot times, so I did a fresh start)

But the odyssey continues as now the app won’t even launch, like I use the desktop shortcut or the lutris “play” button, activity for a few seconds then it just dies. Like I get the little bouncing icon effect but then the game fails to launch, which is similar to a problem I had before when I first started using mangohud.
So I tried removing mangohud from the command but that didn’t solve it this time, the problem is there’ SO many variables
the vid card drive, wine, DXVK lutris, but everything was working fine UNTIL I hooked up the new monitor yesterday

Oh lordy, that’s a whole heap of extra apps in the mix, lol … something’s got a gremlin. I know nothing about if Lutris or Mangohud could cause the issues you’re having, eek. And you probably know to run this … wine Game.exe &> debug.txt … it’s my (lol, only) go-to when a game does that.

And, yes, all these variables can throw up some interesting errors, and sometimes something just breaks, and ferretting it out can take a lot of work. I have to admit that when that happens with me I just go to wipe and reinstall. Fascinated to see if a reinstall with the new monitor plugged in solves everything (including installing the vesa driver), but that is potentially a lot of work. That’s my ‘zap it’ philosophy anyway, with not being great at all the investigating, but the guys would know how to do the proper tech work.

also jsut as a lark I decided to check some other stuff, Videos, Netflix, SMplayer, etc all play full screen jsut fine,

Typical isn’t it; one glitch hidden away in some corner, while everything else is just fine. :rofl:
At least that points to it’s more of a game issue, so narrows things down. I see Blizzard’s instructions re UI scaling are to use the UI scale in the game’s options, and edit config.wtf … https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/21673 … I imagine you’ve tried those. Any info there that can be added for when the tech geniuses arrive? Not sure what else to suggest, other than WineHQ, which no doubt you’ve tried, and installing the vesa driver, or the full reinstall with new monitor plugged in, incase something has gone kaput. No idea whether the vesa driver not installed is linked with anything, but definitely adding the xrandr --query ricklinux requested would be helpful.

haven’t tried the vesa driver or the re-isntall, might be worth giving it a shot frankly

1 Like

The vesa driver being installed doesn’t hurt my (running LTS) system:

inxi -G
Graphics: Device-1: AMD Navi 10 [Radeon RX 5600 OEM/5600 XT / 5700/5700 XT] driver: amdgpu v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: amdgpu,ati unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon
resolution: 1: 1920x1080~60Hz 2: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT (NAVI10 DRM 3.35.0 5.4.68-1-lts LLVM 10.0.1)
v: 4.6 Mesa 20.1.8

… so you should be okay to install it. Worth a shot, as you say. I’d produce the xrandr info and wait a little while to see if the others are free before doing the full reinstall, but, yes, it is a good quick route if you have the time.

1 Like

Ok just checked apparently I do have the Vesa driver installed, ( bad Linux user, not knowing your system)

Time is one thing I have a TON of, I just bought the new monitor, i bought two monitor arms to move them off my desk, was all excited, then POOF

little messy but

1 Like

Naughty again! lol … and nice system! Wallpaper’s good too. I’ve actually seen a comment while searching that says turning off discord solved someone’s similar issue, plus am not sure if rotating the monitor and screen like that could be making the game kick off. Surely solveable; if only I knew how, lol.

Now i understand the 1080X1920! :laughing:

2 Likes

This may be a stupid suggestion, but if the game works fine in windowed mode, why not just play in windowed mode? You can maximise the window to be full screen and you can turn off window borders, so it will look as if it was full screen…

1 Like

That was my thought going in, but now it’s not launching at all and/or crashing,
I thought about running it borderless window, but the next time I rebooted my system is when it started crashing, didn’t really get the chance to try :frowning:

Thanks for the compliments on the system
as for the wallpaper I have a folder of about 30K wallpapers I’ve curated over the years that it cycles through every 5 minutes (the first step is to admit I have a problem…) I might try killing discord, see if that helps.

1 Like

This does not work because your quote characters are wrong. Use single quotes (apostrophes), not back quotes. Or do it with double quotes.

I’m reading through the thread, haven’t read all of it, so please excuse my stupidity if this was already solved.

@anon96036739 when posting on the forum, you should put all your commands in triple backquotes, (```) otherwise the forum renders single quotes as smart single quotes. Like this:

lspci -vnn | grep -PA9 'VGA|Display'
1 Like

Lol, that’s a lot of wallpapers. I can understand, being an artist … the folders, of sketches, art, references and videos over years have built up a lot to pretty humungous, lol. And, yes, kill discord sounds good. :+1:t2:

lspci -vnn | grep -PA9 ‘VGA|Display’ … this is how Geany is copy/pasting this command over, and I’d been saying to copy/paste that into the terminal, so maybe something’s got mixed up with that somewhere along the way.

EDIT: I’ve just seen your edit! oops

If you copy that, it will be wrong.

This:

lspci -vnn | grep -PA9 ‘VGA|Display’

is not equal to this:

lspci -vnn | grep -PA9 'VGA|Display'

(notice the different quote characters, forum automatically messes them up unless you put code in the code block)

2 Likes

Always something good to learn, lol. :smiley: :+1:t2: Will be sure to put stuff in the code block in future.

1 Like

What platform are you playing this on.

ok cool got the quotes thign fixed out, can now add output here

[james@James-EOS ~]$ lspci -vnn | grep -PA9 'VGA|Display'
0a:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 10 [Radeon RX 5600 OEM/5600 XT / 5700/5700 XT] [1002:731f] (rev ca) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: XFX Pine Group Inc. Device [1682:5710]
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 69, IOMMU group 23
        Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=2M]
        I/O ports at e000 [size=256]
        Memory at fcd00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
        Expansion ROM at fcd80000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: amdgpu

Platform?
EndeavourOS, Lutris, wine, Battle.net Launcher, and then the Game itself. Everything is 64-bit

PROGRESS!!!
did a re-isntall of Lutris & the Battlenet launcher,
game is now working fine, even in full screen, but I have mangohud disabled, going to re-activate that & see what happens, perhaps it was that all along. We shall see

1 Like