Game Performance and Dual monitors

Ok I just bought a new monitor (YAY!) and everything was working great out of the box until I went to load up my favorite game (World of Warcraft)

The game runs through Wine and normally runs in a “Fullscreen (windowed)” mode.
I load it up after getting my second monitor up and running and I’m getting less than 1 FPS it;'s horrible.
I tried changing several settings and nothing helped until I switched it to windowed mode.

I was wondering if someone could explain this behavior to me, and perhaps even a way to fix it, playing in windowed mode is do-able, but not optimal.

What is the second monitor hooked up to? What is the hardware? Is this how you are setting it?

I think the video is a bit outdated (looking at it on youtube it’s from 2015), several versions ago WoW removed the full screen option and now only has “Windowed”, or “Fullscreen windowed” options.
The default settign is “Fullscreen (windowed)” which is what I’ve been playing on up until now.

Both monitors are hooked up to the same video card, Both via DisplayPort it’s a radeon 5600
Full screen windowed it sort of like when you press F11 on your browser, or Netflix or some such, it’s a full screen mode with no title bar. The windowed mode treat it like a normal window, where it shows the title bar, has close/minimize/maximize buttons, and you can still see the bottom panel, system tray etc.

It runs just fine in windowed mode, it’s just, not what I’m used to.

1 Like

In Mate, I set a couple of shortcuts, to move something to the right monitor or back to the main one … oddly, that sometimes helps with some games run through wine. Also, although you probably know this already, running winecfg --gui and forcing the game to e.g. 1920x1080 can work. Often it doesn’t, but worth a try.

I’ve not run the particular game you’re saying, and am running Radeon 5700XT, both monitors 1920x1080 … haven’t known games to run slower, even if there’s a display issue, so maybe dxvk could help immensely? Especially if it’s an older (or very recent) game (I try to avoid anything before around 2013/2014 generally, but sometimes get a good surprise with earlier games). Apologies if you already know this dxvk stuff, but put the (x64) dll’s into the game’s main folder, where the exe is, then winecfg --gui, select the game’s exe, and enter each dll in the library section, set as builtin/native. Then apply and hope it works. :crossed_fingers:t2:

If all else fails, very occasionally even just pulling the plug on the second monitor (easier when the power plug is under front centre) will fix a game’s display issues.

Depends on which DE you’re running too. Personally I found that Mate runs games best, after using Cinnamon and KDE, but I’m no wine genius or anything, lol, and am sure that others are able to get gaming working fine on other DEs.

2 Likes

I’m running KDE currently, The game is recent.and it does use DXVK, I’ll try moving it back and forth between monitors. Like said it ran fine, literally minutes before hooking up the second monitor, getting 80+ FPS. It still runs fine windowed, just Borks itself if I go fullscreen

Not sure what else to say, except that it could be a KDE glitch about dual monitors? and, in the short-term, I’d pull the plug out of the 2nd monitor, while reporting/waiting for a fix?

I think I might have to, or maybe I Think I saw an option in lutris to switch off a secondary monitor automagically.

It gets worse though, I tried a quick restart, and now instead of frame rate issues, as soon as I launch the game my video card takes a dump, entire system freezes and crashes :frowning:

sadly one of the main reasons I bought a second monitor was to keep an eye on chat/twitch while playing said game and streaming via Twitch

Eek, that’s not great. Is this a brand new install you’ve just done? Sometimes it’s good to go into the ‘base and other packages’ and make sure graphics drivers you don’t need aren’t selected. That’s what fixed things for me when I originally tried to install eOS but had system freeze. Definitely sounds like there’s something up with graphics settings.

And, yes, using the second monitor is great for having other things on alongside, so it’s important it’s fixed.

It’s a fairly new install, about a month ago
how would I get into the packages to see what can/can’t be uninstalled?’

BTW: I just want to say thank you, every time I come here for help (which has been a lot) this community has been extremely friendly, and helpful, and willing to take time with me, a lot of other distro’s maybe have bigger communities, but none as nice as this one

Unfortunately, we’re hitting an area I’m not very good technically about. Sorry about that, but I can advise running inxi -G and posting the outcome; a good place to start, as it gives a quick overview of active drivers … then those more technical than me will be able to see if there’s anything up with the graphics settings. inxi -Fxz would be even better, giving full system overview.

And, yes, I too have found that this community is the most friendly and helpful. Glad you’re happy here. :smiley: :+1:t2:

I didn’t even have inxi installed… Bad Linux user, BAD!!

ok here we go inxi -Fxz

[james@James-EOS ~]$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Kernel: 5.8.13-arch1-1 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.0 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.19.5 Distro: EndeavourOS 
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: PRIME X570-P v: Rev X.0x serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: 2606 
           date: 08/13/2020 
CPU:       Info: 12-Core model: AMD Ryzen 9 3900 bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen 2 L2 cache: 6144 KiB 
           flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 158470 
           Speed: 3298 MHz min/max: 2200/3300 MHz boost: enabled Core speeds (MHz): 1: 3299 2: 3302 3: 3297 4: 3299 5: 3298 
           6: 3298 7: 3286 8: 3300 9: 3299 10: 3300 11: 3297 12: 3299 13: 3298 14: 3298 15: 3301 16: 3299 17: 3299 18: 3299 
           19: 3300 20: 3300 21: 3298 22: 3300 23: 3300 24: 3300 
Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Navi 10 [Radeon RX 5600 OEM/5600 XT / 5700/5700 XT] vendor: XFX Pine 
           driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus ID: 0a:00.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: amdgpu FAILED: ati unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa resolution: 
           1: 2560x1440 2: 1080x1920~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT (NAVI10 DRM 3.38.0 5.8.13-arch1-1 LLVM 10.0.1) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.1.8 
           direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Navi 10 HDMI Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 0a:00.1 
           Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Starship/Matisse HD Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 0c:00.4 
           Device-3: Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920 type: USB driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo bus ID: 5-2:2 
           Device-4: Creative Sound BlasterX Katana type: USB driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid bus ID: 5-3:3 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.8.13-arch1-1 
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: ASUSTeK driver: r8168 v: 8.048.03-NAPI 
           port: f000 bus ID: 04:00.0 
           IF: enp4s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
           IF-ID-1: torguard-wg state: unknown speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: N/A 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 10.01 TiB used: 3.32 TiB (33.2%) 
           ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Western Digital model: WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0 size: 931.51 GiB 
           ID-2: /dev/sda type: USB vendor: Western Digital model: WD Elements 25A3 size: 9.10 TiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 915.60 GiB used: 158.70 GiB (17.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2 
Swap:      Alert: No Swap data was found. 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 44.1 C mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 50.0 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: amdgpu fan: 0 
Info:      Processes: 447 Uptime: 18m Memory: 15.61 GiB used: 4.55 GiB (29.2%) Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 10.2.0 
           Packages: 1786 Shell: Bash v: 5.0.18 inxi: 3.1.07 
[james@James-EOS ~]$ 

and inxi -G jsut for good measure

[james@James-EOS ~]$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Navi 10 [Radeon RX 5600 OEM/5600 XT / 5700/5700 XT] driver: amdgpu 
           v: kernel 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: amdgpu FAILED: ati unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa resolution: 
           1: 2560x1440 2: 1080x1920~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT (NAVI10 DRM 3.38.0 5.8.13-arch1-1 LLVM 10.0.1) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.1.8 
[james@James-EOS ~]$ pacman -Q | grep amd
amd-ucode 20200916.00a84c5-1
xf86-video-amdgpu 19.1.0-2
[james@James-EOS ~]$ pacman -Q | grep mesa
lib32-mesa 20.1.8-1
libva-mesa-driver 20.1.8-1
mesa 20.1.8-1
mesa-demos 8.4.0-4
[james@James-EOS ~]$ pacman -Q | grep mesa
lib32-mesa 20.1.8-1
libva-mesa-driver 20.1.8-1
mesa 20.1.8-1
mesa-demos 8.4.0-4
[james@James-EOS ~]$ pacman -Qs xf86-video
local/xf86-video-amdgpu 19.1.0-2 (xorg-drivers)
    X.org amdgpu video driver
local/xf86-video-ati 1:19.1.0-2 (xorg-drivers)
    X.org ati video driver
local/xf86-video-fbdev 0.5.0-2 (xorg-drivers)
    X.org framebuffer video driver
local/xf86-video-vesa 2.5.0-1 (xorg-drivers xorg)
    X.org vesa video driver
[james@James-EOS ~]$ lspci -vnn | grep -PA9 ‘VGA|Display’
bash: Display’: command not found

1 Like

That fail message looks a bit concerning. Possibly reinstalling drivers could help, but hopefully the guys’ll be in soon to advise about this failed message. Especially reinstall xf86-video-amdgpu, as far as I can tell.

I’ve just been looking through my thread back in June, when I couldn’t install; there were a few commands the guys gave me to run …
pacman -Q | grep amd
pacman -Q | grep mesa
pacman -Q | grep vulkan
pacman -Qs xf86-video
lspci -vnn | grep -PA9 ‘VGA|Display’

Running those and posting them could be very helpful to add to the thread, for when the more technically able than moi see it, lol.

Have you tried running the LTS, as well, incase there are some kernel issues in the mix too? I can see you have newer hardware (I’m running the Ryzen 7 with RX5700XT myself), so it might seem odd to advise trying the LTS.

PS naughty non-inxi linux user!

1 Like

For comparison, incase that’s helpful, here’s my outputs:

pacman -Q | grep amd
amd-ucode 20200817.7a30af1-1
xf86-video-amdgpu 19.1.0-2

pacman -Q | grep mesa
lib32-mesa 20.1.8-1
mesa 20.1.8-1

pacman -Q | grep vulkan
vulkan-icd-loader 1.2.153-2
vulkan-tools 1.2.153-1

pacman -Qs xf86-video
local/xf86-video-amdgpu 19.1.0-2 (xorg-drivers)
X.org amdgpu video driver
local/xf86-video-ati 1:19.1.0-2 (xorg-drivers)
X.org ati video driver
local/xf86-video-fbdev 0.5.0-2 (xorg-drivers)
X.org framebuffer video driver

1 Like

I can see you’ve added the outputs. Only diff I can see is that you’re running the vesa driver, which I’m not. Getting a bit stumped otherwise, eek.

Copy/paste this line, to correct the ‘command not found’ … lspci -vnn | grep -PA9 ‘VGA|Display’

1 Like
[james@James-EOS ~]$ lspci -vnn | grep -PA9 ‘VGA|Display’
bash: Display’: command not found

FYI as a side note, I will shoot myself in the balls before dual-booting or re-isntalling windows in anyway.

Just seen that the lspci command is part of the pciutils package, so that command should work fine after that’s installed. Oops; sorry to not realise that before.

And, lol, definitely passionate about kicking windows to the kerb … great stuff! I feel the same, minus the balls bit, lol.

So the total freezes are happening only if the new second monitor is plugged in?

PS I think everyone else is watching some Saturday telly or something, lol … hopefully those with good tech brains will sail in soon to help get this second monitor into line.

@Lancaban
What does xrandr --query show. I see in your inxi Display 1: 2560x1440 and 2: 1080x1920 which is odd!

pciutils seems to be installed, not sure what the problem is there

total freeze has on RARE occasion happened before, I always chalked it up to bad luck, like once every couple weeks or something it would randomly happen

since installing the second monitor and then rebooting, it happens immediately upon launching the game

Thinking of shooting video with my cellphone and uploading it somewhere to link here & see if that helps, but I was going to wait until more people chimed in first. One step at a time and all that

Puzzling about pciutils. Did those rare freezes happen on eOS/KDE, or was it a different/previous distro? … and the freezes on eOS are only linked with this second monitor? There are some further amdgpu driver fixes coming into the kernel soon, so that could also help, IF the issue is that the system/monitor are very new.

Does seem unusual about different monitor sizes … is xrandr --query working, or similar issues to pciutils?

That could help, and great that @rickman has posted, as, seriously, it’s really funny me being any kind of tech support, lol. I’ve shared what was offered to me about fixing similar issues, but am really not sure what else to offer. All the info being posted, including the xrandr information, should ensure there’s as much info in the thread as pos, for when people are free.