Full transparency on the GRUB issue - Updated 2022-08-29

I have posted about this in several places, but that isn’t a great idea for a distro like EOS which doesn’t enforce any specific course of action after the install. That is more likely to break booting on an ongoing basis. At least this is a one-time event.

3 Likes

I agree it will be removed from my distro should a better solution offer itself, for now hook has proven to work without issues… Anyway new release isn’t for another 2 weeks so got time to use whichever solution is better. Until now none are really great… We only choose one that works best…

I agree to disagree… i choose my own destiny! Grub it is! :sunglasses:

1 Like

As maintainers we have responsibilities … We test and offer best solutions we can… Beyond that it’s user choice of course :wink:

Right, but running grub-install seems pretty irresponsible to me. In addition to breaking dual-boot scenarios and probably breaking anyone with a more complicated booting situations like someone who is using a secureboot shim, it means that anyone who has the grub package installed will be using the grub bootloader if they want to or not…

you might be right, I cannot argue with you who knows more about such things, so you are saying I should not offer the hook by default on ISO, if so I won’t, what do you suggest I do ? What solution seems better ? I do dual boot with Windows 11 and hook so far has not caused any issues… I do not use nor will I ever use encryption, or BTRFS so dunno nuthin boout them scenarios…

Guide me oh master of all :wink:

What hooks you implement on your machine - which is an individual configuration of drives, boot-manager, etc - is one thing.

To create such an individual setup for all is simply not possible. It cannot work for all.

2 Likes

Just a refreshed ISO is sufficient. hook isn’t needed. New install don’t have the issue

3 Likes

I didn’t give up on grub, so much as I gave up on how Arch is currently maintaining this particular package. I understand the reasoning why they maintain this package the way they do, but for a component like grub that I just want to work, I don’t need a version of it that comes straight from masters. This was a recent change on Arch’s end, and this comes with potential downsides as evident by many users grub breaking.

When something breaks, I always give myself two options. Wait for a fix (which usually happens very quickly thankfully), OR seek out a possible alternative if there is one. In this particular case, I don’t need many of the features that are packed into grub, for my own use case I just need something simple and modern that lets me boot whichever kernel I want that day.

grub is still going to be the de facto for many users because if offers a wide array of features and that’s totally fine, but for myself, this was one of those “teachable moments” and I ended up finding an alternative that makes more sense to me and my system, so why not keep it simple?

4 Likes

Well since new release coming in two weeks it’s dumb to release one now n another then… Will wait till then… Ok thanks for that…

@Scotty_Trees

Now, with that explanation I would have to agree, always have more than one option never stick to only one, in other words don’t put all your eggs in one basket lol :wink:

A post was split to a new topic: Issue with grub r261

And it should be pointed out that users coming from Windows are used to rolling release style updates, so that will not be foreign to them. Being given the choice to install them is, unless they have Win10 Enterprise or an earlier version of Windows.

I just updated my lenovo, then sudo grub-install and reboot, thanks god everything works! That was it… no need to switch away from grub for me.

3 Likes

Just updated today the whole system. Ran also grub-install after update process.

Booting ended up on grub_rescue prompt with the error: symbol grub_debug_malloc not found.

Its a little frustrating

Thanks for the transparency! Didn’t know about this issue and I was quite shocked when my PC always ended up booting into the BIOS.

Luckily it was not that hard to fix it with the provided instructions… Still quite a shock so early in the morning.

1 Like

I don’t get all the fuss with this grub update issue, unless I am misunderstanding it.

They introduce a uefi firmware entry change that wasn’t compatible with the existing grub efi stub. Not great, admittedly.

Won’t boot, arch-chroot, downgrade grub, regen grub config, boot again … wait for more info in forum(s) and bug reports.

Fix is a one off update to the grub efi stub using arch-chroot → grub-install + reset efi boot order and all is working well again.

Now people are running from grub, EOS is going to replace grub … so many OTT reactions. Grub is rock solid and the only option for fully encrypted systems. No other bootloader has its features. One hiccup and grub is cancelled. Silly.

What this issue showed moreover is the lack of fundamental technical knowledge in the EOS user base. Yikes.

Every user of an Arch system should be able arch-chroot into their system root partition and apply a single command to fix an issue. Bare minimum. The number of people that couldn’t even do that and immediately resorted to re-installing was troubling.

Arch doesn’t break often but it will break eventually, simply the nature of a bleeding edge rolling distro. You will have to fix it, online re-installation is not a reliable issue resolver, you’ll just be re-installing the same packages you updated. Restore from backup is a better recovery method that re-installation if cannot fix.

15 Likes

Arch and by extension EndeavourOS don’t target new beginners in Linux.

However the easy-install method of EnOS, which practically is almost as easy as any other Linux new-
beginner-friendly distro, is the reason that it attracts even some users who have never used Linux before, let alone using a terminal and command line.

Some would even take offense if you provide a link to ArchWiki and the only thing they need to do is to put in the search word and press enter to get the answer to their question. Talking from personal experience :wink:

Yet we are a new-beginner-friendly community thus the mixed user base.

9 Likes

Given the facts:

• I am no techie in anyway
  • I have been distrohopping for a year
  • I am on EndeavourOS for abot 2 months now

I can confidently say EndeavourOS is really beginner friendly, even “grandma” friendly.

You just install once (very easy installation) and forget about it! You don’t ever need to reinstall again or install the next release (unless something like the infamous Grub issue recently)

Beginners/noobs can even do almost all what they want from the “Welcome” app, system update/upgrade, install “common” software … without even needing to use bash or commands.

Since I started Linux in 2000, this is absolutely the best experience I ever had!

1 Like

downloaded and installed the fixed version now :slight_smile:

Agree mostly;)
I mean the Name should say it already .
You need to endeavour and it will be a journey with challenges to solve.

3 Likes