Frozen screen at boot after making some changes

Hello!
This is my first post in this forum, so please excuse any issues with the quality of my post.

I had installed EndeavourOS, and I was absolutely loving it! I spent all day today customizing my desktop because I was so in love with Endeavour and Linux as a whole. However, eventually I tried to reboot after making some changes, and it seems that I have broken it (I can only display an underscore at the top of the screen - it seems it is frozen because it does not blink)

As far as I remember, the main changes I made before rebooting were:

• Changing power mode to performance on the kde settings
  • Installing nvidia-settings
  • Installing a widget from the KDE store, but I rebooted after and it still worked

I have attempted to solve the issue in these ways in tty3:

• Uninstalled nvidia-settings and rebooted
  • Reinstalled nvidia-dkms and nvidia-utils
  • Replaced nvidia-dkms with nvidia
  • Installed nouveau (didn’t work, so I uninstalled again)
  • Created nvidia-xconfig, but left it empty as I don’t know what to write on it

Some more info that might also be pertinent is that I tried to use startx in the terminal, but that seems to also freeze the screen.

I have skimmed through journalctl | grep nvidia but I am very inexperienced with linux, and I’m not sure how to share some key logs like journalctl and xorg.conf when I am stuck in the terminal screen. Please let me know how I can share these as well :smiley:

Finally, here is my system information:

• Host: G5 GD
  • Kernel: 6.6.3-arch-1
  • CPU: Intel i5-11400H (12)
  • GPU: Intel TigerLake-H GT1
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Mobile

I spent a lot of time customizing my desktop and migrating stuff from my previous OS (windows11), and I would hate having to reinstall everything from the iso file. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
Guil

First welcome to the forums.

Start out by booting the live usb and making a backup of the /home directory on the drive you have everything installed on. Once you make a back up then start with what suggestions are offered :slight_smile:

save the journal entrys as an external file if need be then just copy and past the file contents in here being sure to enclose the in coding tags

1 Like

Hi! Thank you so much for your quick reply!
I have finished backing up my /home (although it seems that symlinks are not supported in the file format of my sd card, is that an issue?)
I have also created a journal.txt file from the live environment! Here it is along with the xorg.conf file:

journal.txt:

xorg.conf:

I uploaded the documents to google drive because they are much too large for one forum post. I hope that’s ok! What should I do next?