From a cold room to a warm cabin

Maybe that’s why I accidentally on purpose sailed into here :grinning:

2 Likes

OK, so incredibly serious question:

Why don’t sky ships have sails on more than one side of the hull?

5 Likes

Because then they wouldn’t look as cool?

Less cool, or more cool ?

Because anime

3 Likes

I guess it depends on your perspective?

7 Likes

OK, now I want to try drawing a sky ship…

4 Likes

If it is a ghost ship, like der fliegende Holländer, then that was a normal ship once when its crew was alive, so it makes sense to have the sails in the normal places, now it just sails on the fog, because ghosts, and stuff… :slight_smile:

But if it is ship designed to be flying, then it makes little sense to put sails only on top (because the force these sails would generate would create torque on the entire vessel). Also, it needs something to generate lift for it, probably a balloon (in high steampunk fantasy, this can be a vacuum chamber made of some extremely tough, but light material).

When it comes to a fantasy sailing blimp, I like this arrangement of sails:

Though, manually operating these sails must be a pain for the crew. :sweat_smile:

Also, how are the masts attached to the blimp? Are they going through it? :thinking:

5 Likes

Welcome!

Probably - the interior will have a frame so the masts will just be part of that.

2 Likes

Thanks @anon14644943 still only just dumped iso on usb, at this rate i should be done by lunch next week :laughing:

1 Like

Welcome to the community :beers:

Also, for the masts on all sides… wouldn’t that make it hard to land?

Use a skydock.

2 Likes

@ramblinwreck Thanks for the welcome

and

That why they land on clouds

5 Likes

Sure, it couldn’t land flat on the ground, it would have to be anchored while in the sky (and the passangers would descend and ascend using some sort of a cabin on a cable), or docked to a tower.

But it needs the sails all around, because of the torque. If it had the sails only on the top side, it would tilt downwards and, in heavy wind, spin out of control (like a maple tree seed).

It could have the sails only on the sides and not on top and bottom. That would cancel the torque, while still allowing it to land on a flat land. But ships rarely need to land, and having the sails all around would be more efficient.

If you ever played Kerbal Space Program, you know that for all flying vessels the centre of mass has to be on the line spanned by the vector of thrust :nerd:

4 Likes

to keep people from using them as giant trampolines/hammocks

1 Like