Fresh KDE Online Install with systemd-boot?

I noticed booting live USB is done through systemd-boot.

Is there a way during live install (KDE Plasma, BTRFS) not to install Grub and keep/install systemd-boot? rEFInd perhaps (default, don’t want to configure or do anything - you’ll say I am lazy I know, I admit I am).

Yes.

I think EnOS’ installer supports neither systemd-boot nor rEFInd.

You could opt for manual partitioning and choose not to install Grub.
An ESP perhaps ca 1 GB (not mounted during installation).
And a BTRFS partition the size of your choice mounted at root.
Ignore the warning about EFI System Partition.

After the root system has been installed, still from the live session, it should be possible to use arch-chroot to change root to the newly installed system and follow @dalto’s tutorial to make the necessary changes for the systemd-boot.

1 Like

Sure! Thank you very much @pebcak

1 Like

I would love to see this as an option to select:

• Grub
  • rEFInd
  • sytemd-boot

Or perhaps as I learned from @dalto yesterday, Grub with a hook to fix the Grub update issue (reinstall if there is Grub update).

As far as I know, this is not possible to do safely in a generic way. Meaning, you can create a hook in your system to run grub-install but there is no safe way to do so that works for all systems. That is why we recently removed the hooks we had for grub in new installs.

1 Like

I thought it is “safe” and can be a standard configuration/installation.

I will be having a fresh install - if they could let me boot to USB- then converting to systemd-boot then following your amazing tutorial… forever!

You could just install and keep using the same install forever and it wouldn’t make a difference about having 500 options on the install iso.

That’s the joy of rolling. 2-5+ year installs are normal.

1 Like

Sure. I believe “rolling” should be the default for Linux. Maybe a “slow rolling” (for those who prioritise stability) where updates are tested until they are stable then get to the repos.
Though I do not see the current “rolling” as unstable.

I do not see it is a feasible thing to occasionally backup data then reinstall/upgrade.
Just my own personal taste.

I don’t believe this is the case.

Grub can be used in a lot of different ways and grub-install needs different parameters passed to it in different circumstances.

For “a given system”, the parameters needed shouldn’t change unless you make changes to grub so it should be safe to automate.

I understand now it depends on the system and configuration.

Thank you @dalto I am learning here all the time.

That’s how everything already is. If you really get pedantic, debian is rolling in that same definition. Albeit very very slowly.

You want to make tons of options. Hooks and scripts to make everything automatic. And everything super safe, up to date, and exhaustively tested with a nearly zero percent chance of issues.

Arch is infinitely configurable you can do all of your options, EOS is just one of the ways to install a system.

Arch is NOT automatic. You must do manual interventions, package changes, and more.

And while the grub thing has shown a lot of people to arch-chroot, the reality of that is the grub fix is actually very easy. Yet, you seem beyond scared of it now. It should have been a 6 minute fix honestly. 10 if you had to get out another laptop to hit the wiki.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t be in this realm, but I am saying you seem like based on your expectations that there may be something better suited for you.

Fedora rolls every 6 months. Huge testing pool. Very calculated updates for instance. . . .

1 Like

Not as such. I am just thinking loud with you.

This is why I am thinking loud with you. This is what the open source concept is all about.

Yes I am. I am no techie by any means. But the way I see things, Linux in general just works, this is what I care about.

I appreciate it.

Is there anything better than Arch, EndeavourOS in particular?!
In my distrohopping for a year where I tried everything, couldn’t find any.

Anyway, sorry if I am bothering you by thinking out loud and making a lot of noise.

That was my point. You’re scared of something that was actually very easy, and in general, just works. What happens when you need to do something a little more difficult?

If things like chroot and very easy to fix grub issues - then yes, there may be something better FOR YOU. For me, Arch is the gold standard. But I’m not literally afraid to reinstall grub. So, something that is much safer is likely better suited FOR YOU. Again, this grub thing was easy. It should have been easy. It wasn’t for you and that sounds to me like you’re in way over your head. There’s much much more curated distros for beginners and new to Linux folks who are probably much better at your level. And because of that you’d likely have a better experience and won’t need to worry about simple things like updates and grub so much.

I’m not trying to put you down, but misaligned expectations bring heaps of disappointment and frustration. That’s the kind of thing that will run people away from Linux. You should enjoy your computer, not be afraid of it.

1 Like

I understand what you are talking about.
But, it is OK with me.

I am really enjoying EndeavourOS and the community here, and I am not disappointed or frustrated in any way.

I was just… well… I will think on my own and won’t make a lot of noise.

1 Like

Like I’ve told you before, you’ve probably invested a hundred times more effort and time into making sure your system never breaks (almost certainly in vain, by the way), than what would take for you to actually fix your system when you inevitably break it.

And instead of learning to know your OS (and EndeavourOS is a really simple OS, you can get to know it quite well), all you’ve learnt is how to restore snapshots and reinstall.

Embrace the fact that sometimes, exceptionally, very, very rarely, stuff simply doesn’t “just work”, and that usually, that’s not a big deal. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, actually my investment is in trying to learn and know more. I prefer on the job training. I will end up learning even if I couldn’t accomplish the target.

I know that, simply because it is “software”

Yes, I never enjoyed a distro and a community like I do here in a year long distrohopping.

The best thing I am enjoying is the community here. Though I have a feeling some see I am just noisy and I should keep quiet. But still they are very helpfully and supportive which I highly appreciate as this is what opensource is all about.

I will not be noisy anymore. Apologies for all, and many thanks for all the support I am getting.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.