Fresh install unable to boot without installing Nvidia driver + image retention problem

Hello @order I just had a question about your hardware and how you usually install on Linux. I have the Nvidia GTX 1060 6 GB which is not as good as the GTX 1080 TI for sure but it takes the same drivers as mine. On Linux i do not use Nouveau. I just use the Nvidia proprieatry drivers. So you are doing a fresh install and you have two monitors? You have an Intel 6700K which has onboard graphics. So why can’t you set your Bios to use the Intel onboard HD Graphics to install Endeavour? You may have to still use “nomodeset” or other at boot for the Nvidia but this will get you installed. Then you install the Nvidia drivers manually with pacman and then you can change your bios settings to use the Nvidia card only. Or are you using both graphics? One for each monitor? Anyway this is usually how i install and then install Nvidia with.

sudo pacman -S nvidia nvidia-utils lib32-nvidia-libgl nvidia-settings 
2 Likes

Okay let me clarify, I was pretty sleepy when I wrote the original post ( sorry )

1. I have the IGPU disabled and I’m using both monitors via DisplayPort plugged to my 1080TI.

2. The install runs fine, what’s in the video is the first boot after the install finishes

3. It only did the bug the first time and somehow worked after a reboot from the hardware button on my PC.

4. After the second boot I saw lightdm and managed to boot and then I proceeded to install nvidia driver with the command you specified in your post.

Basically, it works but it’s just a little janky at FIRST boot. Last time I installed it which was 2 weeks back it flashed my monitor super hard and I had image retention tho and that’s not a problem for me, but if someone is using a OLED panel (some laptops have them) it can pretty easily cause burn in IMO. This time this issue was not present so that’s good.

1 Like

Mine won’t even boot the ISO on the Nvidia. I actually haven’t installed Endeavour yet on this system but tried to boot the ISO. It has Antergos i converted over to Arch and then converted over to EndeavourOS. I haven’t had a reason yet to reinstall it as it is dual boot Windows 10 on Uefi so I’m just waiting until the online installer ISO is complete and then i might reinstall. I usually run Cinnamon but i have now sort of taken a liking to Xfce. When i originally installed Antergos i ran both the Nvidia and Intel graphics but when it boots in Windows it switches and i don’t like the way it works so i disabled the onboard and use only the Nvidia. So you have th IGPU disabled but when you installed did you have it enabled because mine won’t boot on Nvidia with Endeavour. Display port is good 144 Hz?

No I have it disable constantly. Yeah both monitors work at their maximum refresh rates. Main - 144hz, Secondary - 100hz. Only issue I had is that after I installed the nvidia driver G-Sync would reanable itself on every boot so I had to add a command in xprofile nvidia-settings --load-config-only. Since than I’ve had 0 issues. Well not exactly 0. The only thing that currently bugs me is the tray icons in xfce are kinda bugged and sometimes are drawn over oneanother . You see how fuzzy / ugly it is? Weird stuff but it’s been a common xfce bug for many people. Other than that it’s by far the fastest feeling distro I’ve used.

1 Like

we may have this solved for next release.

would be interesting how they get this working, as it seems not possible to have nvidia installed and boot on non nvidia GPU here (it replaces libgl) it is may possible to uninstall nvidia on boot with intel/amd gpu and it would start to x then …

@joekamprad Is it not possible to have the Nvidia setup like Manjaro has on their live usb where you can select non free driver? The only way i can boot on EndeavourOS live usb is with your Nvidia enabled ISO. It would save having a separate ISO. I just installed Manjaro Xfce to try out and see Xfce 4.14 and how it works. I’m just asking?

It is possible, but Manjaro have its own hardware detection system, and is changing a lot of things to get this working. As we want to keep it simple to maintain this is not a way I want to follow. And it is only a matter of time that nouveau will work for this cards again.

1 Like

With compositing turned on it works properly. Only viber’s icon stays messed up but that’s probably because I’m running the windows version of Viber through wine.

do you try to find out how they are doing this? i can not find sources to this at Manjaro GitLab, it seems they hide some stuff or it is very hard to find.

I had this issue a few days ago also with a 1070, DP1.2 and 144hz monitor. As I recall, this happened with both closed source and open Nvidia driver, the image persistence problem lasted for most of the day. It flashed white on install and then showed sort of transparent windows, which I thought was some sort of XFCE compositing method. No, they weren’t transparent, it was just image retention which I didn’t realize and should’ve shut down my PC immediately. I tried twice with both choices, no luck, and it was enough to scare me away after this happened with a brand new monitor. Ruining my time I can tolerate but ruining hardware, not at all. I used to use Antergos and thought I’d give this a shot after using Manjaro for a while. I never had this problem before but it was enough to scare me away. I can’t afford new monitors for every install.

Here’s what it looked like after I booted back into Windows, still persisted.

IMG_1726

Hello @tony
First Welcome! I just wanted to ask which ISO you are using and also how did you create it? I would not be using Ventoy or Rufus. If you can create the usb with the latest ISO from Linux would be best with either etcher, popsicle or write with dd.

I used endeavouros-devel-2021.01.21-x86_64.iso hoping it’d have more recent drivers, nvidia specifically. To create the ISO I used Rufus, something that’s never failed me in the past and it used, as requested, DD, same method many Linux apps may use when creating bootable USBs. I normally create them in Linux but since I’m temporarily on Windows, I never had trouble with it.

Also I can try again to install if anyone wants me to pursue this bug but if no one’s going to care, I’m not going to test it again for fear of my monitor. But I’m willing to provide testing if it makes Endeavor better.

Please open a new thread on your issue this one is on another topic, and older then a rolling system can hold…
But welcome here at the forum :enos_flag:

closing