Freezing problem

Regardless i thank you for trying to help me out, i appreciate it. just tried a live session and firefox crashed everything disappeared except the backround and my mouse, which for the first time i can still move

Well Iā€™m not sure when the problem started? But you say you had problems before you replaced the motherboard and cpu? As i said i have the same board with zero issues for last 3 years. You are using Gnome and it runs Wayland. Not sure if you are using X11 on Gnome or Wayland?

The freezing only started after i bought the new MB and CPU, my other MB refuse to post with any bootable drives in it, currently in a live usb with no drives in it just out of curiosity, you think a bad drive could cause it?, i wouldnā€™t think it would but eh?

Scratch that, still does the same thing

Are you running x11 or wayland?

I run it on X11

Which drive do you have EndeavourOS installed on? You said it does the same on PopOS. Is PopOS installed or you mean just on the live ISO of PopOS?

Edit: What motherboard and cpu did you have installed before?

its was a live usb of pop os, i had an asus x99-A II and a intel 5820k

Okay? Do you have amd-ucode installed?

pacman -Qi amd-ucode

Edit: I think both intel and amd are installed but just checking?

No it was not.

That might be the issue then. I wasnā€™t sure if the installer only installs the ucode based on the processor it detects or whether it just installs both ucode. So if you install it and reboot and see if that makes any difference?

Edit: Because you changed the motherboard and cpu the hardware is a lot different.

Not sure how that explains the crashing on the live usb but yes, i am currently testing to see if it makes a difference on my install.

Well the live usb also runs on the hardware itā€™s booting on but not sure?

Did not work.

Well it needs the ucode anyway. But, there must be another issue.

Have you tried using a different power supply?

2 Likes

I havenā€™t

I would give that a try, often random freezing can coincide with increased load/power draw. If there is insufficient power freezes, random crashes, etc will occur. This can also happen if the voltage on one of the rails is off. How old is the power supply and what brand? Also I did not notice anywhere whether you turned secure boot off. On a brand new mobo it would likely default to on, and this would cause interesting issues as well.

1 Like

Itā€™s an evga 850 b2, itā€™s probably 4-5 years old. iā€™m testing another one i own (same model and wattage but was put away) Yes, i turned secure boot off, itā€™s the first thing i do when i get a new mb :wink:

Very much implies a hardware issue.

Looks like itā€™s caused by one, or both, of those things.

Very pertinent point, given you have a new CPU which likely has a greater power draw than the old one?

Itā€™s worth disconnecting hardware thatā€™s not critical, e.g. any CD/DVD drive, to reduce power draw. Also, calculate whether your PSU can actually cope with the power draw given its efficiency ratio and effective output at the current ambient temperatures.