FreeTube stopped working and gives weird log entries about qemu

FreeTube stopped working for me with the last update (yesterday, the last update before that was a week ago). I already tried rebuilding it with paru -S freetube --rebuild. Starting it from the terminal gives no additional information, the command seems to have no effect, other than a short delay and the messages in journalctl.

However, everytime I start it, I get these entries in journalctl:

Apr 05 09:36:33 elendil-pc systemd[1884]: Started FreeTube - YouTube Player.
Apr 05 09:36:34 elendil-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[2195]: qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 61747, resource id: 37749060, major code: 18 (ChangeProperty), minor code: 0
Apr 05 09:36:34 elendil-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[2261]: kf.service.services: The desktop entry file "/usr/share/applications/qemu.desktop" has Type= "Application" but no Exec line
Apr 05 09:36:34 elendil-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[2261]: kf.service.sycoca: Invalid Service :  "/usr/share/applications/qemu.desktop"

If I start it from the terminal, I only get the last two lines:

Apr 05 09:36:34 elendil-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[2261]: kf.service.services: The desktop entry file "/usr/share/applications/qemu.desktop" has Type= "Application" but no Exec line
Apr 05 09:36:34 elendil-pc /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[2261]: kf.service.sycoca: Invalid Service :  "/usr/share/applications/qemu.desktop"

How can FreeTube possibly be related to qemu?!

My system is x64, which is what FreeTube is made for. Other electron apps work fine (and don’t give any log messages about qemu).

$ cat /usr/share/applications/qemu.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=QEMU
Icon=qemu
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Keywords=Emulators;Virtualization;KVM;
NoDisplay=true

$  cat /usr/share/applications/freetube.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Name=FreeTube
GenericName=YouTube Player
Comment=An open source desktop YouTube player built with privacy in mind.
Exec=freetube %U
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Icon=freetube
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/freetube;
Categories=Network;

It might be worth noting (I really don’t know, but this is the only connection I can make), that the first time the issue appeared (which was yesterday), I had a VM with qemu running. In this instance, it did spawn a not functional window, after that it didn’t spawn a window again.

Should be a problem with the new electron version. At least it was on my end. I downgraded electron and it works again.

Maybe try that, even though your errors don’t mention it.

See the AUR comments.
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/freetube

It is not. Those two lines messages are completely irrelevant to FreeTube. They just notify of an invalid .desktop file entry-value.

/usr/lib/gdm-x-session[2261]: kf.service.services:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.