For all you ARM lovers

:mechanical_arm:

5 Likes
4 Likes

16gb for $190? That’s all you need for a while. That’s awesome!

2 Likes

look good on paper . time tell

3 Likes

And than you couldnt use the whole Hardware, because the development of the drivers need 23905482390 Years. And if the development is finished, than already exist 5 new generations of the board.

Would love to use ARM.

1 Like

Well, that’s nothing in the life of a FOSS enthusiast.
:older_man:t4:

3 Likes

Haha yeah.

But this is really a problem.

but I’ve always wondered why, for example, RPi is made and supplied by RPi Foundations without a single working driver for the GPU.

E.g. Rpi4 is now 3 years old and we still don’t have an efficient, working GPU driver. And if I understand it correctly, it will take another 3 years to get there. But that won’t happen because the development is stopped “in the middle”, because of course Rpi5 has already been announced and should appear on the market soon.

From time to time I install on my Odroid and Rpi4 Arch ARM with KDE. And it runs just terrible :frowning:

1 Like

I installed KDE recently in the RPi4 (8GB, SSD, running EOS 64 bit) and I installed Xfce in an SD card. I haven’t used KDE much, but the login takes more time (I didn’t measure it, but Xfce feels almost immediate, KDE no) and opening apps also takes longer. As I said, I haven’t used it much yet, as I am using the SD version to back up stuff to a portable SSD, I just wanted to point out a different choice might provide a significantly speedier experience.

2 Likes

have KDE it run fine :wink: It ok , it no beat sway,i3 or bspwm ( no need more ) never real like xfce much .

Edit KDE wayland hit & miss

2 Likes

I think @Pudge is also using KDE on the Pi with good impressions. I will give it a try, I have been wanting to start using and understanding KDE for a while now (mainly because of the EOS forum vibe around it, I confess, and also the arguments presented), but I will install a Window Manager on the side to have an alternative to I-don’t-feel-KDE-right-now moments.

On the XFCE installation I have dwm to try and build a dwm install… it seems suitable to a 16:9 display, the way it lays out windows. And it sure is snappy.

1 Like

I’m making lunch and then my pi comes out. KDE is my ideal scenario. Maybe Cinnamon. I don’t like GNOME on a desktop - only a laptop. But that’s my next thing on the docket while I watch football this afternoon.

2 Likes

strange !! KDE run fine on ARM for me :blush: ( EOS run same )

KDE-on_ARM

1 Like

Yikes…! 1441MiB :scream: OMG Your’e Welcome :zipper_mouth_face:

Thats not a SBC (Single Board Computer).

Its a notebook. And there it could be that they deliver Drivers to the Kernel.

But try run it on a rpi4! You could vomit :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

That’s nothing for most of todays newer systems. Well unless you are installing on a toaster :crazy_face:

1 Like

lol :wink:

i have . it run ok . i agree it no x86 but it run ok for what it is .

I am running KDE on a RPi 4b and I am using it everyday for Arm development. Granted it is not good with apps that have heavy CPU or GPU usage, such as gaming. But for everyday tasks it is a good 5 Watt (measured at the wall outlet) general usage device. How many Watts does a heavy duty gaming computer use just for getting E-mail, checking the forums, etc.

It is also a great inexpensive platform for DE / WM hopping. Try a new DE out on something besides the ol’ daily driver.

If you don’t like the RPi 4b concept, that is fine. But you don’t need to inflict your venom on users who have a legit purpose for the RPi 4.

Pudge

4 Likes

No of course I didn’t want to talk it down to anyone who currently has a use for it despite all the problems. I self using 4 of them with libreelec on various TVs.

I was only talking about the area when you want to use the rpi4 as a desktop replacement. And that could be done when the GPU driver is ready at some point (if ever).

Because hardware acceleration is the be-all and end-all of desktop use. Currently it’s not even possible to watch videos online (most will probably use Youtube for that), because 50% of the frames are dropped during playback. And that is very easy to see and very annoying (or scrolling in the browser!)

But that doesn’t matter. Hardware acceleration (especially in browsers) has always been a nagging issue. If you consider what you have to do for Firefox and Chromium, at least under Arch, so that you have hardware acceleration with the browser.

And as you wrote, of course you can use the rpi4 as a desktop right now. Only then everything is just dumped on the cpu, and thus the whole system is very sluggish and slow. If one agrees and knows it, it is perfectly legitimate to use it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree that the Arm platform is not anywhere ready to replace the x86_64 platform.

But considering that the Arm platform was originally designed to function as a low power device mainly targeted for dedicated computer usage. I define dedicated computer as a device that performs one function only. Such as controller for a production line, kiosks, signage, etc. Those uses did not require heavy graphics. So the Arm platform has come a long way since then. I agree the process of better graphic drivers for Arm is painfully slow. But the same can be said about Wayland.

This is good. I like it when we can agree to disagree. :sunglasses:

Pudge

3 Likes