Flatpak installation breaks bluetooth module for Linux kernel

Hi guys,

I am using the Linux kernel, while it seems that installing flatpak package breaks my bluetooth module, can anyone help me with it?

There are errors when loading bluetooth module and I can no longer find the adapter after installing flatpak. I am pretty sure how flatpak tweaks the kernel is the cause, I want to either fix it or revert the change.

Thanks for any information.

Hello Eric,
There’s a good chance a knowledgeable member could help you towards a fix or at least point you in a good direction with a bit more info from your computer and your logs.

Here’s a good start:
https://discovery.endeavouros.com/forum-log-tool-options/how-to-include-systemlogs-in-your-post/2021/03/

I will follow your thread to learn something new, as I am a user also.

Take care :slight_smile:

As @Epictetux has posted more information is needed about your installation. Also what flatpak package you are referring to and how are installed it?

Boot log where error appear for bluetooth

Hardware log

By flatpak package, I refer to the official arch linux package installed with paru -S flatpak

The module loading error occurs randomly, sometimes I can normally use my bluetooth, sometimes I cannot find my adapter

I see the error as:

jan 23 22:17:49 yifan-83am kernel: bluetooth hci0: Direct firmware load for mediatek/BT_RAM_CODE_MT7922_1_1_hdr.bin failed with error -2
jan 23 22:17:49 yifan-83am kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: Failed to load firmware file (-2)
jan 23 22:17:49 yifan-83am kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: Failed to set up firmware (-2)

Edit: I see it’s a usb bluetooth adapter?

Device-1: Foxconn / Hon Hai Bluetooth Adapter driver: btusb v: 0.8 type: USB
    rev: 2.1 speed: 480 Mb/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 1-5:3 chip-ID: 0489:e0d8
  Report: btmgmt ID: hci0 rfk-id: 0 state: up address: N/A

@Ericoolen
Maybe try the following … each line.

hciconfig hci0 down
rmmod btusb
modprobe btusb
hciconfig hci0 up

This solutions works, but it seems I need to re-enter these codes every time I reboot?

Also I am using a laptop, so I might not call it a usb Bluetooth adapter?

You shouldn’t have to do this every time you reboot. You could also just try next time

rmmod btusb
modprobe btusb

Edit: I guess see if it lasts or not.

1 Like

Yes it caught me off guard seeing btusb.

It still losts some times I reboot

When you reboot it can you post the url. Also I’m not sure if the bluetooth adapter is on the same chip as the WiFi chip?

sudo dmesg | eos-sendlog

Did it work always before installing the flatpak?

Output from dmesg still gives the error.

I works always before installing flatpak.

BTW, I am using the lastest 2023 Ideapad pro 5 with AMD, which might be too new.

Thank you for your great help so much, tbh it is usable for me now, I can bare entering some code whenever the I reboot.

Well I’m not sure why the firmware fails to load. This is the correct latest firmware bin file.

[    2.260365] bluetooth hci0: Direct firmware load for mediatek/BT_RAM_CODE_MT7922_1_1_hdr.bin failed with error -2
[    2.260370] Bluetooth: hci0: Failed to load firmware file (-2)
[    2.260373] Bluetooth: hci0: Failed to set up firmware (-2)
[    2.260375] Bluetooth: hci0: HCI Enhanced Setup Synchronous Connection command is advertised, but not supported.

Edit: Is there a new UEFI Bios update for this laptop yet?

1 Like

yay -S blueberry bluez bluez-libs
systemctl enable bluetooth
systemctl start bluetooth

Updating Bios might be a possibility, I might try this later, btw, I will mark the previous commands as solution.

Really appreciate your help!

Could you please elaborate on this?
What exact tweaks are you referring to that have caused the bluetooth module not being loaded properly?

I am (and have been) using Flatpak on several GNU plus Linux systems (not only Arch (-based)) and I have never had this issue you have been experiencing.

There are more of us on the forum who also uses Flatpaks and to my knowledge yours is the first report on this.

If “how flatpak tweaks the kernel” is truely the cause of broken “bluetooth module for Linux kernel”, I should think that we would have seen many similar reports by now.

So, I wonder if the title of the topic is not a tad too generalizing :thinking:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.