Flameshot oddity

There you have it. I’d post an issue…

Regarding dbus where would I open an issue?

I’d put it on flameshot first, as not getting through to dbus.

1 Like

Thanks @anon11595408. Will try.

1 Like

Hope I was clear enough.

1 Like

I just noticed on neofetch you use tilix. Awesome!

I’ve been using for quite a while. I love tiling.

After some misunderstandings it turned to be out that the flameshot issue I had was like follows

• when trying a screenshot by clicking on the flameshot tray icon
  • the security window to ask if I want to allow flameshot taking screenshots didn’t appear

The same time there was a message in the syslog

xdg-desktop-por[6966]: Failed to show access dialog: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Only the focused app is allowed to show a system access dialog

which I didn’t relate to the security window not popping up.

Workaround was:

• open flameshot configuration window
  • click on the flameshot tray icon to perform a snapshot

Then the gnome security windows pops up

and I can Allow.

I would think this might be a Gnome bug but I am not sure. Any opinions?

`

It is. This is what I was telling you about a number of posts up. I had originally found that answer on one of their issue pages on how to make it work - gitlab or hub or something, I don’t remember anymore.

It’s a bug, and has been for quite some time. I don’t know if it’s something they can “fix” as it’s a wayland security feature. Technically that’s how it’s supposed to work. It will probably take quite some time, if not a forever bug.

It’s not a bug, it’s a feature. :wink:

I stopped tracking this one a while back because I thought they had gotten to the point where you would only have to grant the permission once, then Flameshot would work normally after that. Is that not the case?

This is the relevant discussion:

It seems as a non native English speaker I am not easily able to say what I want.

First of all, I have nothing against the fact, that Gnome asks me to allow flameshot taking screenshots as it happens only a single time.

But I have a problem when this windows does not appea so that I have no chance to accept or deny such screenshots. This happened and such I didn’t know what the problem was.

We were having a similar discussion the other day about wayland and xeyes. The reality of it is that the wayland team views what flameshot is trying to do as a security issue. So, it’s purposely blocked from happening. Therefore it’s not a bug, wayland sees it as a feature. Flameshot thinks it’s a bug. If you opened your session with x11 it should (it did when I tried) worked just as you expected it to. It will be up to the flameshot design team to decide if it’s worth re-writing and finding ways to work around the new wayland security “features” or they may decide that it works well enough on x11, and that people can use it until x11 officially dies off and just let it ride off with it. . .

Yes, you told me. But as I did not see any window asking for permission your saying: It would have to do with the permissions being filled somehow. didn’t make much sense to me at that time. :slight_smile:

This is not quite right. This specific issue is related to the way Gnome decided to handle this, not Wayland in general. Other DEs on Wayland do not have this problem.

Originally, when Gnome 43 was first released it forced screenshotting apps (other than the native Gnome one) to get through this dialogue on every screenshot attempt, which was not only super annoying but also essentially broke any shortcut that didn’t use the GUI.

Now, Gnome has mercifully allowed screenshotting apps to work normally after this permission is granted once. It is a little clunky to set up if you try to do it without interacting with the GUI, but still a big improvement over the original implementation.

2 Likes

Someone assumed it as a security risk.

Grant permission → flameshot works.

I understand the concept of why Gnome only allows the focused application to show a system access dialog but it seems unreasonably restrictive.

But, whatever, Gnome does what they want so it is what it is.

1 Like