[fixed] Please include kio-fuse in the KDE-Desktop metapackage

Hopeful we do not get a bloat discussion here… we simply install all that libs to make life more easy you may or may not need them all, but it helps new users coming from one of the big Distros to feel happy that stuff is simply working without the need to search for every lib needed …

4 Likes

Since a couple of people have mentioned me here I just want to clarify that I do think it makes sense to include kio-fuse by default. Problems with directly accessing files, especially media files, on smb shares is a common problem that people complain about with plasma. This is one of those things that there is very little reason not to include and it will make some things “just work” that could otherwise be frustrating.

3 Likes

also easy to deselect everything you do not want to have installed, inside installer …
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

I agree with including it not saying i it shouldn’t be. I just tried to get some thought on it as i don’t know all about what is needed to use it and whether other packages need to be installed for it’s use? :thinking: From what i have read it seems logical.

In a way, I think it is the opposite. You don’t need to install other things for this. However, when you install this, other things start working the way they probably should have all along.

I don’t know, after installing this, I can’t drag and drop pictures from a SMB share into a webpage to upload, I’ll get a popup asking what application to use to open them, so it’s actually less functional to me WITH kio-fuse…

I guess I’m referring to Samba. That’s not installed. I guess my point is that not all Linux users know myself included what it works with or doesn’t. So for me it’s a matter of knowing i need this in order for that to work. :slightly_smiling_face:

I dropped all Samba usage after it changed version and quit working with things like my tablet. There isn’t anything it does for me that can’t be done with ssh (and maybe Filezilla) or nfs. This package is small enough, and ‘gotta know you need it’ enough that my recommendation is include it. Debloat mavens will doubtless know about it and remove it if they wish…

I don’t have a choice. Nutanix at work is MOSTLY used by Windows users, so samba required. My NAS at home shares via samba and isn’t configurable to change it, so, again, samba required.

Makes sense - I was just pointing out why I don’t need it - but I still recommend its inclusion… :grin:

Samba/smb is just an example of a remote. It isn’t a requirement.

No i understand but what I’m getting at is some other package is needed beside just kio-fuse. Is that already installed in KDE so you can use the capabilities it provides?

https://github.com/endeavouros-team/install-scripts/commit/96be3baffe18bf22f90409c7842bd65b06941601

1 Like

This is probably a poor metaphor, but here goes.
Say you need to drive to somewhere you’ve never been to before. If you kind of know approximately where the destination is, you can just jump in the car and drive around until you find it. OR you can use the GPS in your phone and let it tell you exactly how to get there based on fastest route, shortest route, etc.

Maybe I’m wrong, but as I understand it, gvfs or kio-fuse just acts like the GPS in the metaphor, so files are found more reliably and faster. So basically it is a helper to what already exists. Once installed, kio-fuse just blends into what already exists in KDE.

HTH

Pudge

1 Like

Okay if it’s an add on to something that already exist i can understand why it is good to add it. But i was thinking it’s something needed for an additional package to work such as Samba which is not included and has to be added anyway. :grimacing:

1 Like

My understanding of its capabilities is that it provides fuse mounting for remote drives - and that samba is just an example of how they might be accessed…

1 Like

Another example is sshfs which allows one to mount server partitions using openssh and have the mounted partitions appear as though they are local partitions. Then you can use Nautilus on the client machine to add, access, edit, or delete files from the server.

Pudge

1 Like