First time EndeavourOS and my new PC

Hey, everybody!
I have a few simple questions, maybe someone can help me. After a long break (about 9 years) of working in the Windows environment, it so happens that I am returning to the Linux environment.
I used to work a lot on Gentoo and I have at least some basic knowledge, but over time I’ve lost it a bit.
At first I thought of putting my home PC on Gentoo, but after thinking about it I decided to switch to ArchLinux to save time, but then I saw endeavouros and I really liked it for its simplicity! I think it’s perfect for a home PC.

Games or workloads that it will be used: Cybersecurity, Virtual Machines, Lab Environment, small web project (JS, Frontend), games?.. Time to time POE, HUNT: Showdown and POE2.

Characteristics of my PC:

1. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core
  2. CPU Cooler: *Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler
  3. Motherboard: *MSI B650 GAMING PLUS WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard
  4. Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory
  5. Storage: *ADATA Legend 800 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
  6. Video Card: PowerColor Hellhound Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card
  7. Case: Deepcool CC560 V2 ATX Mid Tower Case
  8. Power Supply: *SeaSonic FOCUS 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
  9. Monitor: iiyama G-Master GCB3480WQSU-B1 Red Eagle, 34"

and my quick questions:

1. Maybe chance CPU Ryzen 9 7900 (not X)?
  2. I’m going to use KDE on. I understand that I need wayland to support my monitor and 165hz?
  3. I understand at this point in time there are no problems with drivers for my videocard?
  4. Games are not critical, but it was nice to play as written above, + different single games. Is it better to use wayland for this?

Thx for help!

Linux will work fine either way. It is up to you which you think will be better for your workloads.

Should be fine. I have a 7900 XTX in my machine.

I am not sure why you would need Wayland in this case.

2 Likes

EndeavourOS should work out of the box on the system you mentioned.

You only need to install vulkan drivers afterwards (with the command sudo pacman -S vulkan-radeon lib32-vulkan-radeon) to be able to play all games.

Wayland is not a must, but for me it is without issues. Your screen should also work with X11 and 165Hz.

2 Likes

to get freesync to work you MIGHT need a config file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ that explicitly enables it for X11. On Wayland it works out of the box.

nice, thx for info!

Thanks for the info, that’s my choice Wayland.
It’s time to work on it.

endeavouros automatically use install x11? So I can then install Wayland and switch to it, right?

yes, you only need to install plasma-wayland-session with sudo pacman -S plasma-wayland-session - afterwards the login screen should offer a wayland option. (Not sure if the installer also offers to install that package)
You can add a sddm config to also start sddm in wayland but that is “advanced”.

great,
I’m curious if there is a performance difference in gaming between x11 vs wayland? If you play through using steam and proton.

p.s. proton was a very pleasant discovery for me when I found out about it recently :slight_smile:

I don’t see any performance difference on my 6750XT on a Ryzen 7700X
In the last months I have been playing on Steam only (native games and proton games), before I also played WoW with lutris and wine-staging from the Repo - didn’t notice and performance differences there, either.

2 Likes

Great! Thank you all for your help, topic closed!

I heard someone had an issue with Freesync on Xorg with a correct configuration when using multiple monitors, but Xorg has no issue with a single monitor.

A lot of games run on Xwayland, but not native Wayland.
That’s why you don’t notice any performance difference between Xorg and XWayland.

1 Like

EnOS ARM installs all of the below except plasma-wayland-session
Without looking it up, I am not sure what the liveISO installs.

pacman -Q | grep wayland
kwayland-integration 5.27.10-1
kwayland5 5.114.0-1
plasma-wayland-session 5.27.10-2
qt5-wayland 5.15.12+kde+r61-1
wayland 1.22.0-1
wayland-protocols 1.33-1
wayland-utils 1.2.0-1
xorg-xwayland 23.2.4-2

Pudge

I am pretty sure it does not install the wayland-session by default.
My comment was aimed at it maybe being offered in the list of additional packages to install. My last install was quite some time ago, so I also don’t know but I remember that there was a list of additional packages offered in calamares that one could choose from to install in addition to the stock system.

It is not. There are no DE specific packages in that list.

We let people install those packages post-install.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.