Firejail not working with vivaldi-snapshot despite profile

Both Firefox and Chromium works fine with Firejail.

Vivaldi-snapshot gives several errors at start (running from terminal) and does not remember any settings.

'Proprietary media' support is not installed. Attempting to fix this for the next restart.
/usr/bin/vivaldi-snapshot: line 77: /dev/fd/62: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/vivaldi-snapshot: line 78: /dev/fd/62: No such file or directory
[6:6:0827/202002.347135:ERROR:chrome_content_client.cc(347)] Failed to locate and load the component updated flash plugin.
[6:6:0827/202003.489921:ERROR:CONSOLE(0)] "Unchecked runtime.lastError: The message port closed before a response was received.", source: chrome-extension://mpognobbkildjkofajifpdfhcoklimli/browser.html (0)

(Btw I don’t have the flash plugin installed, and these days there is no need for the AUR ffmpeg package since Vivaldi updates itself. Which I guess this profile has not caught on to?

I now remember why I gave up on FireJail. :wink:

I think that widevine and ffmpg is needed though, if you want to use Netflex f.ex.

2 Likes

I think I have spotted the problem; the default profile for vivaldi-snapshot is very short and just redirects to “chrome-common” that obviously isn’t compatible with vivaldi anymore?

I can live with not having the ffmpg files, but the fact that it does not remember any settings in Settings is telling that it just directs the wrong thing.

1 Like

I don’t have vivaldi-snapshot so I cannot test, but the firejail profile for it redirects to chromium-common.profile

Firejail profile for vivaldi-snapshot

This file is overwritten after every install/update

Persistent local customizations

include vivaldi-snapshot.local

Persistent global definitions

include globals.local

noblacklist ${HOME}/.cache/vivaldi-snapshot
noblacklist ${HOME}/.config/vivaldi-snapshot

mkdir ${HOME}/.cache/vivaldi-snapshot
mkdir ${HOME}/.config/vivaldi-snapshot
whitelist ${HOME}/.cache/vivaldi-snapshot
whitelist ${HOME}/.config/vivaldi-snapshot

Redirect

include chromium-common.profile

1 Like

After further testing non-DE wide settings do work, which makes sense. So the sandboxed version will never see itself as default browser although it is. Which makes it “funny” if you enable the firecfg command… You’ll have no default browser in the system.

Also, the error messages refers to a number of directories in /dev/ that does not exist.

Edit: and I suspect that:

[6:6:0827/202003.489921:ERROR:CONSOLE(0)] "Unchecked runtime.lastError: The message port closed before a response was received.", source: chrome-extension://mpognobbkildjkofajifpdfhcoklimli/browser.html (0)

is Vivaldi’s built in adblocker? It’s the only “extension” I have on Vivaldi I do not also have on Chromium…

1 Like

…I keep it installed for now (firejail). Not going to enable the firecfg.
It SEEMS to work okay for the browsers, though I suspect that for example to be able to upload pictures from anywhere but Downloads I will have to either move them to downloads first unless i create an override policy