Firefox censorship?

I remember a few years ago that mozilla was talking about inserting active censorship mechanisms into firefox, did they ever do anything like that, does firefox auto-censor things now or did they backtrack?

5 Likes

If you could find anything regarding this being mentioned officially, I would love to see it. I couldn’t find anything.

1 Like

to censor what? mozilla can’t control your search results. or can they? I don’t know if a browser has that capability to manipulate a search engine.–It wouldn’t shock me I guess if there existed a partenership
if there is any ‘censoring’ it’s same as any other browser: you do it to yourself when using/disabling google “Safe Search.”

Maybe you read about extra telemetry that they make it hard for user to disable. I’ve heard chatter about that.*

I’ve even heard chatter about FF engineers on a listserv hoping that someday they hope to abolish about:config which is the only thing that makes it safe…when that day comes I’m gone from Firefox. But will love it 'til then.*

*means too tired/lazy to source with links at the present :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would also love to see a source on this. If it is in fact true, it must have slipped under my radar. Can’t remember ever hearing this before.

Are you referring to this 2020 blog post made by Mozilla’s CEO?

It got a lot of attention at the time but I don’t think it led to any specific actions.

3 Likes

great find:

" Changing these dangerous dynamics requires more than just the temporary silencing or permanent removal of bad actors from social media platforms.

Additional precise and specific actions must also be taken:

Reveal who is paying for advertisements, how much they are paying and who is being targeted.

Commit to meaningful transparency of platform algorithms so we know how and what content is being amplified, to whom, and the associated impact.

Turn on by default the tools to amplify factual voices over disinformation.

Work with independent researchers to facilitate in-depth studies of the platforms’ impact on people and our societies, and what we can do to improve things."

sign me up…what could go wrong :wink: ?

1 Like

My same reaction(s), and in this exact order.

1 Like

The browser could certainly be programmed to mess with/censor pretty much anything, but given that it’s open source and has a lot of eyes on it, they would be caught pretty much instantly.

3 Likes

yes

They can as surely as adblockers can remove ads for you.

That’s why i figured to ask :slight_smile: