Fancy some retro computing?

I saw an HN thread for this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spectrumnext/zx-spectrum-next-issue-2

It looks like a lot of money for a pretty niche device (a whole 2MB RAM!), but it still looks very cool:

8 Likes

My very first ā€œhomeā€ computer was a SINCLAIR ZX81
The ZX81 was designed to be small, simple, and above all, inexpensive, with as few components as possible. It uses only four silicon chips and a mere 1 KB of memory that can officially be expanded externally to 16 KB (which I did). Operating system Sinclair BASIC, Central processing unit Z80 @ 3.25 MHz|

I bought mine in the kit form.

Pudge

7 Likes

Dunno why they didnā€™t just stick the pi zero by itself in the shell and call it a day. For such low end hardware I donā€™t see the concern about emulation at all.

3 Likes

Canā€™t argue there. Seems it would have saved a LOT of money, and the emulation should still be perfectly good speed given what itā€™s emulating.

Amiga is all the rage this days:

Although not many fancy updated ones - pure old-school :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a ā€˜modernā€™ one - Real Amigas are A1000ā€™s :smile:
a1000
Or, possibly, A2500/030ā€™sā€¦ :laughing:
a2500

3 Likes

Amiga 500 was the first computer I ever used! A wonderful machine. Its ā€œdesktop environmentā€ Workbench, was also very well designed:

I like the colour palette, nice blue and orange, plus white and black. Much nicer than CGI :smiley:

6 Likes

So was mine! I think that was the one I did backups of programs on audio cassette tape, if I remember correctly, which is kind of weird in retrospect. Loved that little computer.

1 Like

Of course it was ā€˜themableā€™ tooā€¦(I ran with a darker blue and different colour depth for SPEED most of the time). Depending on the monitor, you could stretch it out too - nominally 640x200 - you could set it to 704x410 on my NEC. Seemed like hi-res for those days!

Notice the close button on the correct (left) side! Donā€™t understand how MS managed to make people think it should be on the right! (even they left a way out on the left - if you look for it)

Edit: Of course, that was the 1985 version of the system (4 bad colour CGA was extra cost for PCs at the time) - but hereā€™s where it went later (1990?):
ami3

• a little easier on the brainā€¦
3 Likes

Very cool channel btw on Retro tech and software

Hereā€™s 3 part ZX history

Thereā€™s also playlist full of Atari etc, enjoy old-schoolers :sunglasses: :partying_face:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve started my computing endeavour in the 80s (I was 5 and was typing programming from a hand written code notebook just for the curiosity of seeing what happens after I typed RUN + Enter :P) with a ZX spectrum clone. Canā€™t remember the specs, I could probably find them online, but this sounds like an expensive nostalgia trip. Like making fire with some overpriced sticks.

2 Likes

After flirting with a Commodore 64 belonging to my friend, and a spectrum, I picked up an Amiga 500 - took 3 weeks to load a game (1 week for the stamped addressed envelope to arrive, another week for the rack of floppies to come back, and then another week to load them all upā€¦ 13 disks for Sensible Brothers Cannon Fodder.

I can still remember those names - Jools, Stoo - the way that you get a list of names of the ones who die after every round. Amazing times - and rather expensive.

10MB-drive

3 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/user/craig1black

And try this one - he finds and fixes all sorts of old stuff, spectrums, commodores etc

3 Likes

Atari ST featuring the famous Ballerburg.

4 Likes

I had a BBC B then an archimedes, before I got a Windows based PC.

Little did I know how far that RISC chip would go.

2 Likes

BBC B was very cool, I played with a few of them but I couldnā€™t afford to buy one at the time.

I remember one thing - you plug it in your TV, and turn it on - ready. No ā€˜bootā€™ ROFL. Now you have to turn on and waitā€¦

I think it had about 32k onboard RAM (32 chips) and a 6800 series processor at about 2MHz. Great fun writing stuff in BASIC and going through the huge fat manual that came with it.

1 Like

Somewhat reminds me of my Amstrad CPC, Z80 and a whopping 128K RAMā€¦ I miss it so much :frowning:

3 Likes

Yeah, me tooā€¦
Back when programs had to be actually effective and performant to survive this whopping whoooops! :heartbeat:

3 Likes

+1000 :slight_smile:

Ballerburg and the drawing program ā€œDegasā€ (?) were my big favourites on the ST.
Unfortunately I donā€™t have the ST anymore eitherā€¦

1 Like

The Beeb had a 6502 CPU and could take a Z80 as an add on for CP/M and the like.