Failed to start. Dependency failed /home

Where is your system then?
:open_mouth:

idk :persevere:

Is all my data gone? Even if I reinstall, this will happen again as it happened 2 times before on arch. And I donā€™t want to reinstall if possible, I had spent a lot of time configuring and had a lot of saved data.
Edit: this time I even enabled weekly trim for ssd and cache clearing weekly, still happened.

I certainly hope that is not the case.

If you can mount your home partition now, I would strongly suggest you to backup all your important data to an external disk.

Then I would reinstall the system, re-using your current home. You should be careful to choose to not format it. Only mount it at /home in the installer.

The other partitions /dev/sdb3 and /dev/sda1 can be mounted at / and /boot/efi and you could format them as EXT4 and FAT32 respectively. /dev/sda1 needs also to have the flag boot .

Whatever you do, backup the content of your home directory before.

1 Like

Okay thank you!

1 Like

I am keeping my fingers crossed here.
:crossed_fingers:t5:

1 Like

Thanks for all the support so far!

No problem!

Please just let me know that you are able to mount your home partition and can see your data there.

I can mount my home partition and see the data. But I will wait if someone else is able to resolve the issue.
I donā€™t even know if I reinstall, how different will my new system be, i.e. I donā€™t know what is saved in root and home partition.

1 Like

Thatā€™s good news!

All your personal data and configurations are stored under /home.
Your system files, the software you have installed and those modifications you have made system-wide (like in /etc for example) are stored under /.

1 Like

So all programs installed through pacman and any config changes in /etc right? Is there a way to see all the programs i had installed? Like history of all commands?
I guess there even might be a way to recover all filesā€¦

They are stored under /. The system-wide config changes in /etc (as far as I know).

All the rest of configurations for your apps etc. are in .config under home.

If you use Firefox, your profiles are in .mozilla under home.

Yes. The problem now is that we donā€™t know what happened to your root partition.
Otherwise, you could have looked at pacman.log for example to see your pacman transactions. Also chrooting, you could have run some commands to get you the list of your installed packages.
See for example: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman/Tips_and_tricks#List_of_installed_packages

That is stored in .bash_history under home. If I am not mistaken it keeps track of the last 500 by default.

I do hope so!

1 Like

I did some digging and found out that I can recover files from lost+found.
(https://westonganger.com/posts/recover-files-from-lost-found)
To anyone following this guide: in the guide, replace chmod -x to +x as you want to make the script executable.
https://pastebin.com/ReUiUxKP
Here is the output. Can someone help me with the name of the directories?
Thank you!

Edit: I think
#6291457 is /usr
#524289 is /etc
#3145729 is /boot

1 Like

Since your topics are about the same issue, I merged them together.

If you are concerned the current topic title wonā€™t get the correct attention, you can edit it to something else.

UPDATE:
I ran smartctl, and turns out that there was a problem with my ssd. Thankfully I only bought it 2 years ago and it was under warranty. In the mean time, the live gui iso has helped me a lot, so thanks to the endeavour team.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.