External screen on early boot stage

Hello :slight_smile:

I’m on a laptop (this one, without the nvidia card) with KDE Plasma, sddm and systemd-boot, if I’m not mistaken.

I wanted to have my external screen to switch on at the early stage of the boot process, like described in this topic of the arch linux wiki.

The problem is that this page only talks about mkinitcpio and booster. And, for the moment, I have to wait for the login screen to show up if I want to view something on the external screen.

Any ideas on how to set up this system for Dracut?

Ideally, I want to power up my laptop via an external usb keyboard (via a key press) and having right away the external screen showing off all the stuff (boot choice, log, encryption password prompt, …).

The part about the wakeup via the keyboard is a problem for latter but if you have any tips I take it, I found nothing on the BIOS ^^

So your GPU is Intel?

If so, create a file named /etc/dracut.conf.d/intel.conf and put this in it:

force_drivers+=" i915 "

The run sudo dracut-rebuild

1 Like

Yeps the iGPU is intel.

Ok, that work, thank you very much. I have only one problem left : when the boot is finish and, normally, the login screen show up, I have now a black screen with my mouse (working) on it. I have to switch to another tty and go back to the previous one for having the login screen.

I have checked the log generated by the “welcome menu” in the ~/eos-log-tool.logs file but I have seen nothing weird. Only maybe at line 991, for the /var/log/Xorg.0.log part :

[    45.856] (EE) libinput: HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm=3: Failed to create a device for /dev/input/event21
[    45.856] (EE) PreInit returned 2 for "HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm=3"

Nothing on ~/.xsession-errors too.

If you want the file is stored just here : https://drive.proton.me/urls/61ZJE78P7G#ELe1l2XGM0fv

If I understood well, dracut is on charge to load all the stuff I need for the laptop to work (disk, deamon, drivers, launch the bluetooth, the wifi, detect all the peripherals…) and finally it launch X11 ? Then X11 launch SDDM ?

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.