External HDMI monitor no signal after the screen is turned off and on

One other thing on the monitor settings check that it is proper selection for the port it’s using. You check that on the monitor in settings just so it isn’t auto searching to connect if it has multiple inputs.

Update: It looks more and more like the fault of the monitor. I hooked it up to another monitor I own that is 2K in resolution and I turned off the power on that monitor and turned it back on and it worked just fine. Now I know there is definitely something up with the monitor. HDMI port is out, and the jury is still out if the DisplayPort on the monitor does the same thing.

1 Like

One advantage of Display Port is that it supports both AMD Free-Sync and Nvidia G-Sync. Another advantage is Display Port supports multiple monitors from one Display Port connection. Keep in mind HDMI cable specs 1.4, 2.0 & 2.1 as it matters depending on what you are doing with respect to Hz, Resolution and also Audio. Same with Display Port cables. Usually you want to get a cable that is certified as such. Specs also 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, & 2.0 on Display Port.

Edit: These are just some examples which you may already be aware of.

Update: I got a DisplayPort cable and it works great, turning off the power to the monitor doesn’t give a No Signal when its powered back on. I got a DP 1.4 cable, even though I suspect the port on the laptop is 1.2. The HDMI port on the monitor is busted, but hey at least the DP works.

2 Likes

I just got a 34" ultrawide. The included HDMI cable doesn’t let it run at full resolution or at its maximum refresh rate. I bought a high-quality DP cable (based on manufacturers listed on VESA’s certified DP cable list) and it works perfectly.

This is an annoying issue with modern displays - HDMI and DP have different implementations and those can have different quality of implementation too. GPUs can say they have support for a particular implementation level, but then the port they have doesn’t. Even the cables can’t be trusted…

Gone are the days of interchangeable VGA and DVI cables… :weary:

1 Like

This is exactly the issue i mentioned to @Anticupidon about cables and running higher resolution and refresh rates. Not all hardware is the same and neither is quality of it or cables when it comes to specs. Inferior quality that doesn’t meet the specs is a recipe for failure.

3 Likes