External HDD cant be mounted :: but on other machines all goes well1`?

good day :

External HDD cant be mounted :: but on other machines all goes well1`?
i want to add a external hdd to the desktop

but the WD passport is not recognized at all

Beim Zugriff auf „My Passport“ ist ein Fehler aufgetreten, die Meldung lautet: Die angegebene Operation ist fehlgeschlagen: Error mounting /dev/sdc1 at /run/media/martin/My Passport: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error

funny - but on ubuntu i( on my ubuntu-notebook) all goes well -and the passport can be read!?

why is this so!?

how are you trying to mount it? What is the filesystem?

Is this NTFS and did you cleanly unmount the drive?

Is the cable properly plugged in?

1 Like

A stab in the dark, but I’ve run into issues before (not recently) with drives not be recognized when plugged in. I have a script for that:

#!/bin/bash
# alerts the system to automounts (if not working)
# in my case, only need "host5" ... but what the heck, do them all
for host in /sys/class/scsi_host/*; do
    sudo bash -c "echo '0 0 0' > $host/scan"
done

Had a similar problem with a new machine. Tried to use an external USB 4-port adapter. Apparently, my external drive needs a ‘powered’ USB. Once I plugged into the computer itself; no issues. Wasn’t my first guess…

1 Like

I got the same problem with a wd passport. It used to work but now im getting the same error as you. the strange thing is that on this pc, this endeavouros installation and same usb port, the wd passwork used to work without any issues.

1 Like

hi dear Johnvanepps, hi there dear quxup,

first of all - many many thanks for the reply. Awesome.

johnvanepps

Had a similar problem with a new machine. Tried to use an external USB 4-port adapter. Apparently, my external drive needs a ‘powered’ USB. Once I plugged into the computer itself; no issues. Wasn’t my first guess…

quxup

I got the same problem with a wd passport. It used to work but now im getting the same error as you. the strange thing is that on this pc, this endeavouros installation and same usb port, the wd passwork used to work without any issues.

well i think that i have to digg into all that topics -

on the eos install i cannot mount the wd passport - but on the ubuntu-notebook its possible… without any hassle !?