Excessive CPU usage while watching videos on YT

When I watch videos on YT in Google-chrome, the CPU heats up to 87 degrees C, and when I play the same video through SMplayer, the CPU temperature is 61 degrees. What is this and how can it be adjusted?
Processor Type: AMD A8 PRO-7150B R5, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G

Google data mining at its finest. Try Freetube for watching Youtube.

1 Like

I use Freetube too. And sometimes I just drag the YT url and drop it on an MPV window.

is hardware acceleration enabled?
chrome://settings

to check:
chrome://gpu

2 Likes

Also do try a web search for more information - this is a common issue across platforms.

I start by searching on the Internet. Google-chrome hardware acceleration enabled.

Graphics Feature Status
Canvas: Hardware accelerated
Compositing: Hardware accelerated
Multiple Raster Threads: Enabled
Out-of-process Rasterization: Disabled
OpenGL: Enabled
Rasterization: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled
Skia Renderer: Enabled
Video Decode: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled
Vulkan: Disabled
WebGL: Hardware accelerated
WebGL2: Hardware accelerated

On Freetube, 90% of the CPU is occupied and the temperature is similar to Google-chrome.

1 Like

I use youtube-dl to watch any videos from Youtube. I have a temporary directory where I download all the videos that I want to watch. And this alias makes it so that I don’t even have to paste an URL:

alias ytc='youtube-dl "$(xclip -o -sel c)"'
3 Likes

I have poor internet, but soon I will have a fast transfer, because we are changing our place of residence, but I also download some movies to my laptop.

It’s not using hardware acceleration for video. You could also try something like

(which, again, is covered in several places on the Web already).

What to do to Google-chrome using hardware acceleration for video?

After installing h264ify, the CPU temperature is 83 degrees Celsius.

I assume you also enabled it?

The other option is to try a different browser, or a different front-end (like mpv as already suggested).

OglÄ…dam w SMplayer (mpv).
W innych przeglÄ…darkach jest podobnie.

MPV toimii hyvin hienosti!

Essentially everything is explained here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/chromium#Hardware_video_acceleration

Since your GPU only supports h.264 you have to block VP8, VP9 and AV1 in h264ify. And with this old GPU blocking 60 fps is probably a good idea too.

Screenshot_20210515_161720

4 Likes

Thank you, I blocked 60 fps and the CPU temperature is normal: 66 degrees.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.