Ethernet not working after update

I just ran a biggish update on my office computer after being away for a few days and the ethernet connection isn’t working since I rebooted. It used to be that when I ran ip a or nmcli d I’d see my ethernet connection listed as enp1so, but now all I get is lo. Any thoughts? I checked for pacnews and all that. I’m back online now through wifi, but I’d much prefer to get the ethernet working again.

Not a subject I’m knowledgeable in, but can you post the result of:

lspci | grep Ether

as it may help someone else identify the likely source of the problem.

1 Like

Nevermind, I got it. I’ve been running the lts kernel on this machine, since stability is kind of a thing for my office machine, and, somewhat bizarrely, the newst iteration of the lts kernel apparently doesn’t support my ethernet card all of a sudden? At least that’s what inxi -N suggested when it said that there was no supported driver for my card. In any case, I rebooted with the 5.9.11 kernel and now it’s working fine.

1 Like

Thanks, but I resolved the issue.

Good thinking - sometimes the lts is NOT the answer! (unless your hardware is so old you need the previous lts!)

What card / driver do you have, i wonder?

Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8168

1 Like

No, this is actually my newest machine, < 3 y.o., though not at all high-end.

And this is why I don’t run big updates on days I have to teach online!

That;s pretty much my habit too (build new, but less than top contents). Usually highly satisfactory outcomes!

You could install the r8168-lts and it should work with lts kernel.

Awesome, thanks. I’ll try that when I’m back at the office on Monday.