Ethernet not working after last update

So I applied the last update, which contained a kernel update, and ethernet not longer works (I have an Asus B550M motherboard with Realtek RTL8125B 2.5Gb Ethernet). It did work before this update. If anyone could help me.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Do you use any extra installed driver for it?
pacman -Qs r8

realtek is general unstable on kernel updates and drivers themself, best to have LTS Kernel installed in addition to be able to boot on it as a fallback.

sudo pacman -S linux-lts linux-lts-headers that will make it the default boot option but you can change it in /etc/default/grub to boot:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

look for GRUB_DEFAULT=0. Change it to GRUB_DEFAULT=saved and paste this line under it:

GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true

save the file and regenerate grub.cfg:
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

1 Like

I didn’t explicitly install any extra driver, idk if the default installation installs a specific driver for my Ethernet card. I checked and I do have the r8168 package installed, but I didn’t manually install it myself.

Thank you for pointing out installing the LTS Kernel, I’ll try and see if it works.

I installed the LTS Kernel and booted with it and Ethernet doesn’t work either.

you may need to uninstall this one …

there is also one explicit for the 8125 series… https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/r8125-dkms/

But it is a good praxis to omit using AUR drivers network hardware…

2 Likes

Uninstalled r8168 and didn’t install any thing else. Ethernet now works.

Thanks a lot.

1 Like

great!
We know that the r8168 package package is troublesome… but we still need it for some devices on installer to have network available.

But we have it on our list to find a way to detect such hardware for a workaround already.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.